986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Must have upgrades for new 2003 S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45546-must-have-upgrades-new-2003-s.html)

fritzman 05-06-2013 03:52 PM

Must have upgrades for new 2003 S

So i finally found my 2003 Boxster s - 58,000 miles - ($16K - seem like a value)

It just had new clutch, IMS upgrade, RMS, thermostat and rear axels replaced. Seems like a lot of work to me - i hope it doesn't continue to need this type of work - can anyone let me know....

So I would like to do some upgrade over time - I have no idea what really is worth it with this car. The front suspension seems a bit squirly - not sure if that is a boxster or if some bushings need replacment. Sway bars? Shocks? Are there performance chips?

Just curious.... wow does this car drive great - so much fun.

Joe B 05-06-2013 05:35 PM

I got a 2003 S in December. Previous owner had ROW MO30 suspension and 8X18"/10X18" wheels w/Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires installed. I love it :dance:! I also just bought a hard top.

Perfectlap 05-06-2013 05:40 PM

other common fixes:
MAF
AOS
water pump (did they do only your thermostat?)
coolant tank
control arms

some repairs that may be lurking:
shocks (did mine at 69K)
rotors
catalytic converters (did not last 70K miles for me)
wheel bearings
motor mounts

and a few odds and ends: starter, alternator, 02 sensor, key fob alarm

ask me how I know all this. save your $2K a year maintenance fund like a good boy.
Porsche maintenance is like owing to the IRS.... penalties and interest simply accrue with time.

fatmike 05-06-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzman (Post 341320)
The front suspension seems a bit squirly - not sure if that is a boxster or if some bushings need replacment.

Squirly is not a word that I'd use to describe the front end of a Boxster. Sounds like you've got something that isn't right.

/

BruceH 05-06-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmike (Post 341360)
Squirly is not a word that I'd use to describe the front end of a Boxster. Sounds like you've got something that isn't right./

I would agree, mine is like it is on rails. Sounds like you got a fair deal since the clutch and IMS have been done. Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum! Lots of great info and opinions here. Upgrades? The sky is the limit! :cheers:

darknight 05-06-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzman (Post 341320)
The front suspension seems a bit squirly - not sure if that is a boxster or if some bushings need replacment. Sway bars? Shocks? Are there performance chips?

The Boxster should not be "squirly." I would first check the tire wear as the negative camber tends to chew up the inside of the tires. My box did this and I could feel it while driving over bumps; it would shift abruptly from side-to-side.

A new set of Michelin Super Sports fixed this. :dance: