Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #1

electrical issues (ongoing..)

Another post about my ongoing electrical nightmares...

As stated a couple times before, I came out one morning and the windows had decided to once again just stop working. I've yet to figure out what their deal is. Its been a couple weeks and I've all but stopped driving the car because of the potential to get caught in a sudden spring rain storm which might result in a single drop of moisture getting in the car, which we all know would be all the excuse it needs to lock the entire system down.

So this morning, I pulled the seat for prob the 10th time since buying this ridiculous pile of trash last summer to once again get started poking at the random mess of wires with the multimeter.

At this point I think its time to admit I'm past my level of electrical abilities or personal capacity for bs. If anyone can offer some advice or opinion to the pictures I'm about to post, I would be forever in your debt.

sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

As far as I know, the m535 drive box has never been wet (at least not during my brief ownership) and I haven't done anything to it electrically (such as replace the radio).

The windows have been an ongoing source of frustration for me. So much so, that I've pretty much concluded that I will NEVER own another Porsche product of any kind. Ever.

However, while I've got this one, I'd love to be able to drive it. So here we go...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

We'll start with grounds under the seat...

I've got a handful of grounds that come together and are tied together into a bit of a mess before going over to what looks like a factory ground. Is this normal? Is this what everyone else has in their car? Its a bunch of brown wires that are spliced into one thats bolted to the floor. Additionally there's one smaller brown wire that runs with the group and goes over to the same ground.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #4

As you can also see, the sticker on top of the box is screwed up. Maybe its seen moisture at sometime in its life... Idk. The board itself looks brand new tho and the fuse is fine. Its making good contact and the box is responding when you take it out and install it.

By the way, the windows do respond to the door latches. They do not respond to the roof or the switches.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #5

That shrink wrapped bundle next to the blue cap is that smaller ground that runs parallel to the bigger main ground. Basically what's going on there is a ton of smaller grounds are spliced together, shrink wrapped and run over to that bolt in the floor. Basically the same set up as the larger bundle of grounds next to it. Is this stock? It looks like a mess and pretty shoddy craftsmanship.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #6

The blue cap... Idk what that is.. Its a black wire with a blue stripe that comes out from under the carpet with the grounds, is spliced with a slightly smaller black wire with a blue stripe, is capped with that loose fitting blue cap, and then goes to the harness that's plugged into the seat. Is that normal?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Another picture of it...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

The larger black connector going to the seat is a run of brown wires. The run consists of one larger wire, a smaller brown wire with a white stripe, a smaller brown wire with a red stripe, and two smaller solid brown wires. The smaller wires come out of the harness, get spliced to a short length of solid brown wire (and then shrink wrapped) that then goes on to that connector.

Hard to describe, but here's a pic
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #9

Is this normal?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #10

Of the two smaller solid brown wires in that run, one is spliced to not only a solid brown wire going to that connection but also a slightly larger black wire that kind of wraps around things haphazardly before running forward up under the carpet toward the dash. Not sure what it is, where its going or what possible purpose it serves but its there. Here's a pic
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #11

It just disappears under the carpet...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Camibox

Garage
Sam
What year? I'm a rookie with porsche but can find my way around car electrical somewhat. I have wiring diagrams for a 99
Camibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Homeboy981

Garage
Sam, Sam, Sam,

You used to be such a pleasant poster. I FEEL your frustration!

I too had "grounding issues". Your ground connections do not look right. Like somebody spliced it in 'after the fact'. However, they could be factory. My stereo had similar ground problems. Always a short - until I ran my OWN GROUND. Then, and only then, did the stereo work. I too was fed up at that point and merely replaced the WHOLE ENCHILADA.

I am not suggesting to pull everything out but I would certainly start by re-running those questionable ground wires and ensuring they are properly grounded and without fault.

Another thought, have you replaced your ignition switch and have a fresh battery?

If that doesn't work - find a Jaguar mechanic…half their problems are electrical.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #14

Now... I'm not sure if this is the same wire but it is the same color and size... Also not sure what its doing but its just sort of jammed into the fuse box because why not...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #15

Normal? Please tell me this is stock Porsche so I can at least sit back and have a good laugh... Lol
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #16

I'm kidding, of course its not stock. The harnesses are all unwrapped and pulled apart... Everything is kind of a mess. Can anyone shed some light on what this master electrician was trying to accomplish and what I can do to start recovering?

I'm also pretty convinced none of this has anything to do with why my motherfrunking windows just frunking refuse to frunking work. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? BTW, I will not be replacing this stupid m535 box to the tune of $1200 so that's not an option. I'll reflashed the ecu to eliminate the central locking system and immobilizer before I do that. Just wanted to point that out right up front in case that turned out to be a suggested course of action... :-D

Seriously though, any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #17

Someone has been playing in that sandbox before you got there. Mine is nothing like that. Sorry the car has been giving you such fits, but it seems your car is "special" in that way, as you seem to be going for a record. Perhaps it was not the builder but rather the rebuilder to blame for your headaches. I claim no expertise, but whenever I've had automotive electrical problems in the past, about 4 out of 5 times it was a faulty ground. Good luck.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camibox View Post
Sam
What year? I'm a rookie with porsche but can find my way around car electrical somewhat. I have wiring diagrams for a 99
Its a 99 base so your diagram sounds like just what the doctor ordered!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Sam, Sam, Sam,

You used to be such a pleasant poster. I FEEL your frustration!

I too had "grounding issues". Your ground connections do not look right. Like somebody spliced it in 'after the fact'. However, they could be factory. My stereo had similar ground problems. Always a short - until I ran my OWN GROUND. Then, and only then, did the stereo work. I too was fed up at that point and merely replaced the WHOLE ENCHILADA.

I am not suggesting to pull everything out but I would certainly start by re-running those questionable ground wires and ensuring they are properly grounded and without fault.

Another thought, have you replaced your ignition switch and have a fresh battery?

If that doesn't work - find a Jaguar mechanic…half their problems are electrical.
Lol. Yeah, its no IMS bearing but still annoying as hell! I was ********************ing about to my girl a little earlier and she responded with a text that said "Awww... I'm sorry ur windows are giving u fits" along with this picture...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #20

She immediately followed that with a text that said "That was sarcasm BTW. Now stop being such a pussy and go fix it" haha