986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Calling 19" Riders?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45537-calling-19-riders.html)

evo-r 05-06-2013 11:18 AM

Calling 19" Riders??

I'm thinking about getting a set of 19" with 235-35 and 265-35 tires, so for those of you whom are running 19", what do you think of the ride? Harsh?

Perfectlap 05-06-2013 11:32 AM

^ Has more to do with the weight than the size. You can have 19" wheel with a smoother ride than a set of 17" 33+ lb. boat anchors.

Generally 20 lb. and under is considered light. 30 lb. and over heavy. And lightweight and 19-20" wheels are pricey. Most inexpensive wheels are generally heavy, prone to crrrracking, and really drag down the Boxsters take off off braking and from a stop. Doesn't help gas mileage at all either (lose lose).

Johnny Danger 05-06-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 341271)
^ Has more to do with the weight than the size. You can have 19" wheel with a smoother ride than a set of 17" 33+ lb. boat anchors.

Generally 20 lb. and under is considered light. 30 lb. and over heavy. And lightweight and 19-20" wheels are pricey. Most inexpensive wheels are generally heavy, prone to crrrracking, and really drag down the Boxsters take off off braking and from a stop. Doesn't help gas mileage at all either (lose lose).

I agree. Unsprung rotational mass plays a key role in performance. I upgraded to 19's and never looked backed !

evo-r 05-06-2013 03:02 PM

I'm aware of the unsprung mass and I believe they are 21.5 LB front and 23.3 LB rear. They are roughly 2 LB (each) heavier than my current 17" Sports Classic, but the tires could be heavier too.

Johnny Danger 05-06-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo-r (Post 341313)
I'm aware of the unsprung mass and I believe they are 21.5 LB front and 23.3 LB rear. They are roughly 2 LB (each) heavier than my current 17" Sports Classic, but the tires could be heavier too.

Keep in mind, upgrading to a larger wheel fitment also allows you greater tire choices in with respect to width. This can have a profound effect on handling.

Auf los! 05-06-2013 04:57 PM

Pleasantly surprised

Well, for the last 7 (colder) months, I've been driving on 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, and this week I switched to 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and was really expecting a stiffer ride, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the ride was actually BETTER (not as jarring) on the 19s!

I can only attribute this to the construction of the all-season tires being firmer, and the summer tires being much softer.

The lesson here is if you are going to 19s, choose your tires very carefully. If you buy less sophisticated (cheaper) tires, yes, you might not be happy with the ride.

Perfectlap 05-06-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 341315)
Keep in mind, upgrading to a larger wheel fitment also allows you greater choices in with respect to wider tire choices. This can have a profound effect on handling.

Many Carrera owners who track frequently are having the opposite experience.
They're downsizing to 18,19 from 20,21. Or at least they want to. But bigger brakes on the 991's are throwing a wrench in that. I think bigger tire requirements are just great for tire companies that upcharge millions of dollars for a mere extra inch of rubber. It's sorta like soda cans, hard to find in your local vending machine and gas station mart, it's all the bigger plastic bottles, so for an extra 2 cents of sugar water they can charge you double what ya used to pay.

Johnny Danger 05-06-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 341345)
Many Carrera owners who track frequently are having the opposite experience.
They're downsizing to 18,19 from 20,21. Or at least they want to. But bigger brakes on the 991's are throwing a wrench in that. I think bigger tire requirements are just great for tire companies that upcharge millions of dollars for a mere extra inch of rubber. It's sorta like soda cans, hard to find in your local vending machine and gas station mart, it's all the bigger plastic bottles, so for an extra 2 cents of sugar water they can charge you double what ya used to pay.

I meant to say for street applications. :matchup: :)

Flavor 987S 05-07-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo-r (Post 341269)
I'm thinking about getting a set of 19" with 235-35 and 265-35 tires, so for those of you whom are running 19", what do you think of the ride? Harsh?

These are the OEM tire sizes for my 19" Carrera Classics. Great ride and performance with PS2 tires.

Spyderman 05-07-2013 04:14 AM

Ditto what Flavor 987S said.

I put a set of 19" Carrera Classics (8" wide fronts, 10" wide rears) on my 2001 'S' with the same size Michelin PS2s. I also changed out my suspension to the RoW M030 suspension package (struts, springs and sway bars). No issues with brake caliper, strut or body clearance, and the ride is very nice. Car sticks to the road and handling is sharp and predictable. Wheels and tires fill out the wheel wells nicely too. :cool:

M1Ark 05-07-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo-r (Post 341269)

That is the size I run on my 03 S. love it. Don't know anything else though.

Porsche Pete 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

Hi

I am running on 19s...I like the ride, but certainly feel the road more
Especially the ones in Essex....Roads that is...they are some of the worst in the country..!
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/21368141011.jpg

EssexPorsche 05-09-2013 10:50 PM

Hey, welcome back Pete.
I agree, they are like roads from a third world country!

Anyways, you are selling up. How comes?

#threadhijack!

Porsche Pete 05-10-2013 04:43 AM

Yeah....after getting the car looking right too.. :confused:
I am in two minds tbh....Its such a lovely car, and i know i would never find another one in this condition...

Mrs thinks i`m an idiot...(must agree with her too...lol) I just fancy a Mustang...was going to go down the classic route with a 66 Notchback..but now maybe a 2005.. V8 of course..

Wish i had a shed of money and would keep the Boxster too.. But will have to sell to fund the next project...

I must admit i get on my own nerves if that makes sence..lol..
I think its all about the chase....as that man on `Hunting Classic Cars` says !!

I think i may have to ask Johnny to find me a nice one stateside....from one of them bone dry counties...like Arizona!

Anyway enjoying the porsche with the top down as the weathers finally changed..

I have got 2x unopened cans of Racing Blue ATE brake fluid by the way and all the equipment if you want yr fluid changed Stu.......

And if you know of anyone on the hunt for a Boxster `S` point them in my direction:dance:

EssexPorsche 05-10-2013 05:12 AM

Hi Pete,
Are you talking like GT550 style like the new chape stuff, SALEEM/ROUSCHE style? or the older Elanor style. I do love em my myself. There is a geezer round the corner from me has a newer shape GT550. I think he races it as it has big white '22' decals on it! Sounds incredible!!

Well if you do, yeah get JD on the case - give him a proper mission!! ha ha

I'm looking at an underdrive pulley at the mo , but might take you up on a fluid change if you still have the stuff when i'm ready.

Got a few other things on my wish list as well but it runs into thousands!!

Will do buddy, it certainly look sweet now, BTW did you use spacers in the end? I have spoken to Johnny about this but i'm hung up on rotational mass given i have Carerra LW's - seems like a backward step.

Porsche Pete 05-10-2013 03:03 PM

Yeah the Gt550 style... I like the early ones and then the Fastbacks look cool, but loads of money.. And then Ford lost the plot imo until 2005 and started making proper looking Mustangs again..

Oh well will see how it goes with the Boxster... One of the Mussy members is going to take me for a blast tomorrow pm.... Up yr neck of the woods in Buckhurst Hill..

Hey my old hunting ground was Chigwell...and met the Mrs up the `Retreat` was a right posers pub back in the 80s.. lol...

BACK to the wheels..
Yes straight on without any spacers...feels them arches up just fine and dandy..
No more than 35 profiles on the front though....anymore than that will be rubbing on the arch liners..

Great the forums arent they..............First of all you know Jack Sh**...and then you find YOu are giving people advise..6 months later..ha.

Life is a big learning curve...:ah: