Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #1

New 2000 Boxster S Owner

I recently purchased a two owner 2000 Boxster S with the automatic. I would have prefered the standard, but I think I got a pretty decent deal on this one.

I have to thank you guys for the help. I did not have a clue where to start, but with the help of this forum, I managed to change my pugs, belt, and air filter. I also went to remove the snorkel which was already gone. I added a K&N against a lot of people's advice. I have used them for years and when properly cleaned and oiled, I think they are sufficient. I have never had a problem related to a K&N.

Anyway, I have been a little on the immature side since my purchase. On my way home from Dallas, I ran a GTO... on of the new ones. We got on it at about 70 and he pulled me by about a lenght, but to my surprise, the Boxster came back and passed him. In the last month, I have raced a new model Mustang GT. He jumped me off the line and I quickly passed him. Last Saturday, I raced a 350Z. I fully expected to lose, as I did with the two previous cars. But, After about 40 MPH, I passed him and did so easily. Now, given that my Boxster S only has 250 HP and is susposed to be under pwoered and slow, I am surprised at its performance. I bought it because I thought it was a beautiful car and the handling is just amazing. I did not buy it because I htought it was fast. On top of that, it is an auto - that alone should make it slower than the 5 or 6 speeds Boxtser S's. ???

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the help, and I love my new toy. I will post photos later, but it is just your average Red Boxster S with the 986 S badging, de-ambered with the silver Porsche bad up front. I also have a set of Speedster humps and 18" turbo twist rims. It has 60K miles and I paid $19000. I hope that was a deal, and if not, I am sure you guys in the kno will tell me otherwise.

Thanks for such a great forum.

Respectfully,

Greg

grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #2

Congrats!
and stop racing other cars!!! You are putting way too much trust in the driving skill of a total stranger and oh yeah its dangerous.
If I had a dollar for every time someone challenged me at a red light. A reason why I tinted my windows and keep my windows up when the top is down.

Boxster is not a one dimensional car for the drag strip. It was made for turning left and right.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

I know... and I am ashamed. Just having a new toy has gotten the best of me a few times. That is certainly not the reason I chose the Porsche. Maybe, I need to join a support group or something... I will do better.

Greg
Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #4

the 2nd rule you violated was not posting pics of your car! 10 demerits!!

with that mileage and if all maintenace has been done, I'd say you got a very fair deal...crazy to think you can now have in your garage a Boxster and a 996 Carrera and not spend more than $55K. Two porsches for the price of one fully loaded new/almost new 3 series rag top convertible or a big option loaded stupid x3 SUV thing.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #5

I"d say you got a decent deal as well. The real question is has all the maintenance been done.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #6

I wouldn't try that stuff in Los Angeles. Not so much that it's dangerous, and you will hit someone else being an idiot before you yourself do something...but because you will probably lose against the fast cars in this city I've lost against a miniS that had some major aftermarket stuff done, I've lost against 3000GTs and 300ZXs (TTs of course), and don't even bother against M3s or Evos. Hell, I've had my butt handed to me by an Escalade that from the sound I must assume was blown...a lot. Why is it living in a city that traffic is this bad that people tweak their rides this darn much?

Despite what you've heard, S2000s are beatable tho..

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #7

David, I like the truth that you have posted...very few owners would admit that and to P/L...you are right, it's design to make left and right...quickly

How do I know? Went to the same thing as grasshopper but didn't win but on the turns is a different story
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #8

I have had 3 BMWs and I know better than to line up against a late model M3, or maybe even the new 335s. I hear those are fast. I have owned a Stealth ES and a 3000GT VR4. The Turbo 3000GT would eat my Boxster for lunch. But, like I said, drag racing is not why I bought the Boxster. Also, keep in mind, I live in Texas, there are plenty of wide open Highways with no traffic. So, I don't have many of the issues that you guys might have with other drivers, at least not in these instances.

I did run a Carfax and it showed that the service had been done on a regular basis along with having an emission failure once that was fixed the next day. And, I did a full tune-up within a few days of buying it. I have not serviced the tranny yet, but that is next. It hesitates between shifts under hard acceleration. I am not quite sure why, but I am going to try the service first and see what happens.

Regardless of whether or not the car is fast, it sure gets a lot of looks from people when I have it in town. It is a beautiful car and I very much enjoy driving it with the top down.

Greg

Last edited by grasshopper; 03-13-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #9

You have made a wise decision, grasshopper! Enjoy & drive it top down
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats, enjoy the ride :dance:
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
I have had 3 BMWs and I know better than to line up against a late model M3, or maybe even the new 335s. I hear those are fast. I have owned a Stealth ES and a 3000GT VR4. The Turbo 3000GT would eat my Boxster for lunch. ..Greg
Its funny but there are some cars you simply never see at a track event or Autocross. Those doge stealths, Mitsu Eclipses, Civics, Supras, SLKs and just about every other sporty Merc.
Seems like its the same 8 cars or so. Miatas, Porsches, M3's, STI/ EVO, Corvette, S2000, Minis, and the odd Lotus or exotic.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
Anyway, I have been a little on the immature side since my purchase. On my way home from Dallas, I ran a GTO... on of the new ones. We got on it at about 70 and he pulled me by about a lenght, but to my surprise, the Boxster came back and passed him. In the last month, I have raced a new model Mustang GT. He jumped me off the line and I quickly passed him. Last Saturday, I raced a 350Z. I fully expected to lose, as I did with the two previous cars. But, After about 40 MPH, I passed him and did so easily. Now, given that my Boxster S only has 250 HP and is susposed to be under pwoered and slow, I am surprised at its performance. I bought it because I thought it was a beautiful car and the handling is just amazing. I did not buy it because I htought it was fast. On top of that, it is an auto - that alone should make it slower than the 5 or 6 speeds Boxtser S's. ???
i am glad you beat those cars where you live but in soCal, we've got to bob & weave thru traffic.

when i was test driving before my purchase, a salesman told me that it's possible to beat or even compete w/ some of those hi horsepower labeled cars but it's really in how you drive the 986 that makes the difference. so i salute you if you made that 350z w/ 300hp bow to the 986s w/ 250 ponies.

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #13

I was actually very surprised given that mine is an auto. I thought the new 400HP GTO would just eat the Boxster for lunch, and it started to look that way, but in the end, I was very pleased. Now, I did not take the interstate back and it was in the evening on a rural stretch of Highway... not another car for miles either way. I was actually in the passing lane for a mile or so. My car is has the 968S badge and the speedster humps. When we came to a stop sign in a little town call Point, he pulled up next to me and asked what kind of Porshce I was driving... he had not seen one like it. So, he wasn't too familiar with Porsches. I did not think the humps and new badging would camoflauge the Boxster so well.

I like the Boxster so much, I think I am going to sell it and buy a newer model with a little more HP and a stick. I have about $21,000 in mine with the tune up and new tires. It has the heated seats, tiptronic, de-ambered, speedster humps, 18" turbo twist wheels, and new tires, and just had its 60K mile tune up. Do you think I can get my money back out of it to upgrade? I am thinking I want a silver 06 with the black top and 6 speed.