Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #1

Stereo head unit replacement

I'm replacing the stock head unit with an Alpine and was told buy a guy at Best Buy that their system says I need an anti-theft bypass adapter (Directed Electronics 555U: http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/555U.html). I can't figure out why I would need this thing and am assuming that what they really mean is that I need a wiring adapter (Crutchfield recommends one) to make the install cleaner. Has anyone run into this before? Any info will be appreciated. It's a 2000 Boxster with the door speaker option.

Thanks.

Last edited by CA_Boxster; 12-17-2005 at 01:03 AM.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #2

You need to hop in your car and drive away from Best Circuit as fast as you can Go to a specialty stereo shop like Tweeter, Sound Advice etc. Those guys will hack your car to pieces.

I had the same factory stereo option you do with the speakers in the doors.. All you really need is a VW radio harness to take care of behind the dash. If your factory amp has the MOST system (fiber) you will have to bypass it and install a new amp (this is what I did). You can tap the connector for the factory amp under the hood for all your speakers in the car making it very clean and simple. Don't let anyone tell you the car needs to be rewired, you need alarm bypass or any of that other garbage. A qualified pro level shop can do it, and Best Circuit isn't the one

/b
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #3

I would agree with getting to a good shop. Those BB guys are morons for the most part. And, yes, the adaptor is a simple VW component, I think it cost about $10.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #4

Actually, you don't need this piece at all. I put an Alpine in my 97 and the only thing the installer forgot to do was ground a spare wire from the old Becker wiring plug that goes to the alarm.

When this is not done, the car horn sounds when you lock the car, just as if the center console, one of the doors, or the trunks is ajar. I decided to leave it that way because I could never hear my car doors locking in the city where I live, so the beep of the horn is reassuring and keeps me from checking the door handle.

Which wire is it? I really have no idea. But I bet Toolpants or someone on Renntech.org can tell you if no one knows here.

BTW - Any new Alpine unit, even wired into your factory amp and factory speaker (which any good stereo shop should be able to do for $100) beats the crap out of that becker factory unit. Sounds a million times better IMO.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I think it was just the source that was wrong. I spoke with a couple pro install shops today and it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary will be needed. I'm waiting for some speakers to show up and will then just take the whole setup (new door speakers and a rear speaker kit for the storage compartment, along with the HU) and have it installed by a shop who knows what they're doing.

CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote