986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cocked up my first oil change (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45431-cocked-up-my-first-oil-change.html)

jnicholson30 05-04-2013 03:11 AM

Cocked up my first oil change

So here it is. Bought my first Porsche, 2000 Boxster S (3.2L) and am thrilled about it. The first task -- do the oil and check for any metal. Ordered by expensive Redline 5W 40 and all the right filters and crush rings. Followed the instructions I could find and felt pretty good about it. No metal -- so that's great news.

The problem is that I believe I overfilled it. At first I thought I UNDER-filled it as it only took 8.5 litres (like an idiot I didn't check earlier as it should take 9.5). After doing a bunch of WTF searches afterward, is that I'm realizing is that the likely issue is that I used 2 ramps at the rear, as I did with my prior cars without an issue. This likely means that not all the oil drained out. I am learning of course that with the Boxster everything is just plain different.

THE STATUS - The digital gauge says it is overfilled. The dipstick seems to say its OK. White smoke at start up. I've searched the forum and now know about the AOS and oil foaming issues that can result from overfill. The good news is that prior driver never really drove it much and the last oil change was not long ago (last fall) as it was incredibly clean so it is probably still pretty good oil.

OPTIONS THAT I CAN THINK OF:

A. Drain out all my expensive Redline oil and redo it all over again.
B. Perhaps remove the oil filter and reinstall, to allow 1/2 to 1 litres flow out and test for level.

There may be other options? Any thoughts or advice on the best course would be greatly appreciated. Feeling pretty stupid at the moment.

J

Silver/Black 2000 Boxster S

Frodo 05-04-2013 03:24 AM

If your dip stick says you're good, I'd say you're good. If you're worried about it, I'd do the filter removal option you mentioned. Don't feel stupid...my first oil change in the Box I had an inadequate set-up to catch the old oil. (The catch pan was big enough, but I was unprepared for the velocity with which the stuff exits the car.) Ended up with several quarts on the driveway. Cleanup took as long as the oil change...

kjc2050 05-04-2013 03:28 AM

Remove the oil filter and dump out the oil. You may have to do it a couple of times. (Each time it will be worth 4-6 ounces of oil.)

Another alternative: Jack up the car, put plenty of newspaper or cardboard on the floor, and put your drain pan beneath the drain plug. A drain pan with a large opening is best. (This type, for instance.) Remove the plug for a few moments, and then quickly put it back in. Good for a quart or so - depending upon how quickly you reinstall the plug. No need to get the oil hot before you do this, as the oil is fresh. It will be a bit messy, but it can be done. Make sure you don't cross-thread the plug when reinstalling.

Flavor 987S 05-04-2013 04:16 AM

Good oil choice. Red Line 5W40 is a great oil. Also, good job being a DIY'er.

Since you have the smoke on start-up, I'd say remove the excess oil by doing the filter removal. Just a little hickup in your learning curve.

mountainman 05-04-2013 04:30 AM

If you haven't screwed up you probably don't do much. Don't worry too much about messing up as it is a very good learning experience. It is pretty much guaranteed that now you know to make sure the car is level when draining the old oil. A couple of other things to remember is that due to the engine configuration you need to let the old oil drain for at least 30 minutes ( i wait even longer ) because it runs down slowly. Also when I refill, I stop a quart shy of what the book says is capacity, run it and let it sit a while, check it and add a little at a time until it is correct.
Think about how much money you saved by doing it yourself and you will feel better about a little screwup.

Frodo 05-04-2013 04:43 AM

BTW, I use ramps when I do oil changes as well. The trick is to be on a slope when you back onto the ramps. I'm lucky---our driveway is sloped, so it's not that tough to get the back end of the car elevated with the car still level. Obviously, remember to have the hand brake on, have it in a low gear, chock the wheels, etc.

jnicholson30 05-04-2013 04:54 AM

Thanks everyone - at least not feeling AS stupid anymore ;) It seems when I put it back up on the ramps the electronic level reads that it is at full perfectly (vs when level and it shows above full). My plan is to pull the filter and let a little drain out and then recheck.

Btw, a glutton for punishment, I will be doing the throttle body cleaning later today once this oil thing is settled. Good fun though.

J