Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Texas-T

Garage
50 mph hum sound. wheel bearings?

I have been hearing a humming noise from the rear of the car around 50-55 mph. it seems to be originating from the passenger side wheel, and i am thinking that it may be the wheel bearing. does this sound correct? seems like i will need to locate the SIR 90-P tool and hub removal attachments. Could it be anything else causing this noise? it sounds like someone blowing on a coke bottle.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #2

If it goes away when you turn left or right (thus loading the bearing and pushing it together sorta) then its a wheel bearing.

Just might be tire noise too. I have Primewell PZ900's that the dealer put on when I bought the car that have become unbearably loud in 10,000 miles. I thought it was a wheel bearing, then an axle, replaced two rear wheel bearings and regreased the axle with new boots with no change. Looking for a cheap set of tires now to put on.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnarn View Post
it sounds like someone blowing on a coke bottle.
A hum could be tire or bearing.
Swerve from side to side. If the hum changes most likely it's a wheel bearing.

But, a Coke bottle sound could be a sign that the Air Oil Separator is going or gone.
Watch out for smoke coming out of the exhaust. If it starts smoking don't keep driving.
Replace the AOS.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

My car used to hum. But then it learned the words and now it sings.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Easy fix, go 56mph.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

Garage
Stick your head underneath the car to inspect the inside tread edge of the rear tires. If you don't see anything there feel the tread to detect irregular wear that can make noise. If you can't feel uneven wear it's probably a wheel bearing.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Or go 49mph

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Texas-T

Garage
haha! thanks for the responses. some of those were pretty funny!

@Pedro; First of all, thank you for all your DIY tutorials! especially the CV joint, which i completed a month ago. i also replaced the AOS about 2 months ago after my CEL came on. (also MAF, o2's, boots, etc...) The intake manifold was full of oil, and it was smoking like crazy. Since replacing the AOS, i've had no more CEL, and no more smoke. Also cleaned the TB while in there, and she really purrs now.

I wonder if it could be the tires possibly? They could be getting old. They were Hankooks, installed by the dealer pre-purchase. (16k miles ago) Maybe they are getting too old?

I just really want to make sure before i order a $320 SIR Hub & Bearing Tool. (the one with the 2 additional hub removal peices)

Am i risking major damage if i drive it like this for a few more weeks? I was hoping to go up on the Blue Ridge Parkway Tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

hum noise

mine is coming from the right frontgoes away if I gas it or let off. this my second boxster don't rem. the first one doing it. the guy I bought from said Porsche made that side 3mm off and that causes the noise. Why would Porsche do that???????

I put 2 bumper plugs in the front guess what it stopped lol he had it for 2 years with the licenseplate holes exposed.
andys986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Texas-T

Garage
i found this video on youtube, and it seems to be a different sound than what i am hearing. it may be tire noise on mine because it does not sound like this, and doesn't seem to immediately go away when i turn the wheel... i'm going to watch some tire noise videos to compare sounds.

Bad wheel bearing noise - YouTube
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #11

My problem ended up being the tires. Could feel the inside edge of the tires were uneven compared to the outside. Had a local tire shop swap sides on the rear tires and now it's quiet as a mouse on the highway!

MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote