986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How much are old boxster catalytic converters worth? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45389-how-much-old-boxster-catalytic-converters-worth.html)

dbeesley1 05-02-2013 10:05 AM

How much are old boxster catalytic converters worth?

I just called the local scrap processor and he said he would take my old catalytic converters off a 98 2.5 liter boxster.

He said the price would depend on whether they were metal or ceramic. Has anyone else cashed in their old converters? If so, how much did you get for them so I can get a better idea if I am getting a fair price. Also, did you know what type they were?

Also, are there any companies in North America where I could ship them to get a better price?

Thanks.

SF-Rockster 05-02-2013 10:56 AM

Worth what ever they pay you.
Worthless to many tho.

thstone 05-02-2013 11:38 AM

There are a lot of Boxster's being parted out so parts are relatively easy to find. I don't think that the Box cat's are particularly valuable so I'd expect to get a couple hundred dollars at best. Maybe less.

Porsche Chick 05-02-2013 12:06 PM

You should have done it in February, when platinum was a lot higher . . .

dbeesley1 05-02-2013 02:07 PM

Unfortunately my check engine light didn't ignite in February.

@porschechick, I looked up the platinum spot price and it only appears to be down by 13.8% at 1501 from its high of 1742 on February 7th. If I can get some helpful posts on who might pay the best price for them then every member of this forum might benefit when it comes their time to swap out catalytic converters.

I looked up completed sales of scrap converters on eBay and some are going for $100. If we can establish the type of converters on these boxsters (ie metal or ceramic) then it may help our position when it comes to negotiating with firms who could pay good money and save us all on the costs of new catalytic converters.

dbeesley1 05-02-2013 02:21 PM

1501 is $1,501 per ounce of platinum. Not sure what other precious metals are in there but we shouldn't treat these old cats as worthless. The scrap people sure don't and they probably rely on ignorance to make a huge margin on recycling them.

SF-Rockster 05-03-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbeesley1 (Post 340682)
1501 is $1,501 per ounce of platinum. Not sure what other precious metals are in there but we shouldn't treat these old cats as worthless. The scrap people sure don't and they probably rely on ignorance to make a huge margin on recycling them.

How many ounces of platinum is in yours cats?

SF-Rockster 05-03-2013 03:27 AM

There is an average of 2-3 grams of platinum in cats.
There is your answer.
The amount of time and money to extract that as in the machinery to do it is expensive.
Plus the labor of the worker who has to do it.

Ignorance has nothing to do with it.
The time you spend searching around looking for that extra dollar from another recycling place is pointless.

dbeesley1 05-03-2013 04:34 AM

I wasn't intending calling around different scrap yards. I thought people might update this thread with what they got for their scrap converters.

If people are not cashing in on their converters, then it is worth highlighting that they appear to be going on ebay from $50-$100 per converter (look at the completed listings for "scrap catalytic converters"). If you go to 1 buyer then it is a buyers market and they can quote whatever price they want. Therefore it is even more important that we are not ignorant when selling them.

So, if you sold yours, please update this thread with how much you got for recycling them. If you are about to sell yours, then hopefully this thread will reveal what a fair ball park price is.

I didn't ask how many grams of platinum were in the converter but appreciate being educated. If anyone reading this thread is in the scrap metal business, then I apologize for trying to bring about a fairer market :p

Topless 05-03-2013 06:21 AM

If used working cats go for $50-100 on fleabay, a dismantler "might" give you $5-$10ea. There are hundreds of good used ones around after 2.5L Spec Boxster builds. Supply and demand kicks in and supply is pretty high.

JFP in PA 05-03-2013 06:42 AM

Recycler's often pay upwards of $100 for old cats (particularly 996/997), depending upon their condition, which is why a lot of OEM's now charge a core charge for the new ones. Porsche has not gone that way as of yet, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the bean counters catch on......

dbeesley1 05-03-2013 06:54 AM

Thanks JFP. I think $100 is the asking price I'll go with and see if the local recycler gets anywhere near it. I would rather get $200 more so than $20 for the pair I replaced. The new ones cost me $308 each of ebay which I was happy with and getting $100 back each would hopefully make people realize that swapping out CATs need not be so expensive.

Perfectlap 05-03-2013 07:56 AM

anybody sell stock 3.2 headers recently. I need some cash.. waterpump and rotors left the piggy bank in pieces!!