986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cdr23 radio swap out (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45368-cdr23-radio-swap-out.html)

Rickinduncan 05-01-2013 03:39 PM

Cdr23 radio swap out

My 03 has the cdr 23 radio/cd player with the amplifier in the frunk. It works fine but all my music is on my phone so I was wanting to swap the radio out for an aftermarket unit with blue tooth. The local audio shop hasn't worked on a p car before so wasn't sure if its an easy re and re or if things are going to be complicated with wiring harness problems or amp issues. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm getting into?

Thanks, Rick

Steve03986 05-02-2013 04:27 AM

Headunit Swap

I installed a JVC HU and amp in place of my CDR23. It is relatively easy to get around the CANBUS concern. You have to remove the Porsche amp in the frunk. The new amp goes in the frunk. I mounted the new amp on a piece of plywood and mounted it to the firewall. The new amp connects to the speaker leads connection that were connected to the Porsche amp. The small yellow connector that was connected to the back of the CDR23 does not get connected to the new HU. There are a few detailed writeups on the forum. Hope this helps.

Nimbus117 05-02-2013 09:58 AM

I did the same but I got an Alpine amp the same size as the Porsche and mounted it on the Porsche amp bracket. You can get a wiring adapter to convert the Porsche ISO to standard ISO so no wiring changes are required.

Rickinduncan 05-02-2013 10:21 AM

I didn't have much luck finding a local audio shop that would tackle this conversion. The once place I found about 50 miles away said the radio and amp would have to go and he wouldn't quote a price, just his hourly rate. All I wanted was to play music off my phone. I 'searched' this forum and found the best alternate was the Jabra cruiser 2. I don't have a hands free, which this basically is, and the reviews sounded too good to be true. Picked one up for $65 and without reading the instructions (who does?) it paired with my iPhone and iPad right away, when I hit the FM button it told me what the best frequency was and the cdr23 displayed the unit. Everything works are described.

Coffinhunter 05-02-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickinduncan (Post 340631)
I didn't have much luck finding a local audio shop that would tackle this conversion. The once place I found about 50 miles away said the radio and amp would have to go and he wouldn't quote a price, just his hourly rate. All I wanted was to play music off my phone. I 'searched' this forum and found the best alternate was the Jabra cruiser 2. I don't have a hands free, which this basically is, and the reviews sounded too good to be true. Picked one up for $65 and without reading the instructions (who does?) it paired with my iPhone and iPad right away, when I hit the FM button it told me what the best frequency was and the cdr23 displayed the unit. Everything works are described.

I commute 45 minutes each way, and live by mine. Just don't freak out when it tells you that the battery is low. Not your phone, but the unit. Makes it easy to know when the battery is about to go out!

jrblackman 05-03-2013 06:49 AM

Do some research at Crutchfield. Even if you don't want to do it yourself you will have a better idea of what options are available and what wiring harness conversions are necessary.

Car Selector

Camibox 05-03-2013 08:33 AM

Ricki
If you need some help just PM me or email me at mbejcek@comcast.net. The PO of this car made a mess of things but there are a few tricks I used and everything works great. Not as difficult as it can seem to be.