Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

986 vs 996 Cluster Surround

I recently installed a 996 cluster in my 2000 Boxster. I initially modified my Boxster cluster surround to accommodate the two additional gauges. My workmanship modifying the surround was good, but not perfect:

I recently found a good deal on a leather 996 cluster surround that I was able to refurbish and install:

I find that the 996 cluster fits around the gauges better than the 986 cluster and I think I will be able to use some silver trim rings with it. (The voltmeter and the oil pressure gauge don't protrude far enough from the 986 surround to have the trim rings attached to them.) The stitched leather trim is also nice.

However, I miss the "bridge" over the gauges that was exclusive to the Boxster.

Should I keep the 996 surround or go back the 986 surround?

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Not even close, the 996 leather surround looks great. Nice job. Now, get the silver trim rings to finish it off.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

Garage
Tough call, I understand the uniqueness off the "bridge" but the leather surround looks great! I would stick with the 996 surround.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I think the 996 cluster looks a little more finished. I have a set of trim rings. I had some trouble attaching them with the double-sided tape that came with them. Some folks over on Renntech: Instrument bezel overlays - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Forums
are recommending RTV silicone adhesive. I think I'll give that a try. I'm looking forward to a little highlight.

I have really enjoyed making this modification to the car. The 3-gauge stock Boxster cluster looks a little lost in all the space.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 04-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Went with bling instead of the bridge

Since the 996 cluster surround was the only one that would accommodate 5 trim rings, I decided to use it instead of the 986 surround.

The trim rings look better in person than in the picture. Overall I think the leather 996 surround, the 5 gauges and the trim rings give the dash a more complete and finished look.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #6

You notice the uniqueness of the bridge more when its a color other than black.
So why not just leave the 996 cluster for a while.

The original concept had more than three gauges, your mod should have come like this from the factory.

http://www.granturismomagazine.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Porsche_Boxster_Concept_interior_museum.jpg
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

personnally enjoy the less is more approach to the HUD. the "bridge" is nice, and also unique, but i couldn't care either way for it. all i need is Speed, RPM's, and Temp read outs. the oil pressure is nice (my miata has one also), but if I can't tell a drop in oil pressure without looking at a gauge, I shouldn't be driving anything, let alone a water cooled flat 6 with a dry sump. a volt readout is nice if you have a 10,000 watt stereo system in your car and are trying to win a rolling bass competition.

i'm a hardcore fan of simple HUD's and manual controls. no traction controls, no braking assist, no ABS, none of that. all i want is an engine, a chassis, a way to steer it, seats, and awesome tires to roll on.
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #8

Cameronzero - You have a valid point of view. If I just used the car on weekends, I could see having something like an old 356 without the creature comforts.

Perfectlap - Thanks for the reminder of the Boxster prototype. Every time I see those pictures I feel a little disappointed that Porsche didn't go for broke and build it as originally designed.