986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche slowly killing off manual transmissions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45361-porsche-slowly-killing-off-manual-transmissions.html)

ProjectM96 05-01-2013 05:49 AM

Porsche slowly killing off manual transmissions

The new Porsche 911 Turbo and GT3 will NOT be available with manual transmissions.

PDK only.

The next generation 911 Carrera, Boxster and Cayman are expected to follow in those footsteps.

Video: Porsche 911 GT3 Testing Hard at Nurburgring - Top Speed

Report: New Porsche 911 Turbo Losing Manual Transmission; Lapping Nurburgring in Under 7:30 - Top Speed

AKnowles 05-01-2013 07:47 AM

Yep, there have been several threads on this subject already. Some think it is OK, some don't. I'm in the "some don't" category personally. :)

southernstar 05-01-2013 12:22 PM

I'm with Aknowles on this one. Yes, I know all Formula 1 cars now have automatic transmissions. Yes, I know that the PDK can shift faster and more cleanly that any human could ever do. I respect the technology and can see why the majority of purchasers will want one. However, I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to sports cars.

I came from an era when all racing cars (and virtually all real sports cars) had standard transmissions. It required a high level of skill to drive one both quickly and smoothly. It involved double-clutching to ensure that your downshifts matched revs in the new gear, a skill which required practice and experience with your particular car.

I learned how to double-clutch (or as we used to refer to it, double de-clutching) with my very first car and continue to use that technique on every downshift I make. It has become second nature and, frankly, it is a skill that I take pride in having mastered. While some find the learning process tedious, it was something that I saw as separating real drivers from mere posers: I enjoyed learning that technique as much as I did learning other performance driving techniques such as trailing-throttle braking (in order to set up a smooth transition into some corners). Necessary for day to day driving? No. But a performance-driving skill nonetheless and one that is becoming virtually a lost art.

Traction control is something else that I can do without. Like an automatic transmission, it reduces your 'connection' with the machinery that you are controlling. Interestingly, several years ago Formula 1 eliminated traction control on starts - not because it was less efficient, but because it reduced the impact that a skilled driver could have on his car's performance at the start of the race.

To me, the more that the need for skill is eliminated from driving performance cars, the less the reward will be in driving them. Those who can afford to purchase the latest technology will be faster than someone with less money who is unable to purchase the same technology. Skill (except skill at earning money) will have virtually nothing to do with performance. In fact, the term 'performance driving' will become a misnomer - there will be only 'performance cars' and 'performance passengers'.

Am I backing a losing horse? No doubt. But in my view it is about more than merely fighting progress through the advance of technology. Yes, a singer using autotune can sound pitch-perfect on every note. But so what? I would rather listen to an unimproved Frank Sinatra than Michael Buble any day. The latter's recordings sound dull and lifeless to me. Inhuman and machine like. The former's were natrually brilliant, notwithstanding the occasional flaw.

Brad

pothole 05-01-2013 01:14 PM

It's not Porsche killing them off. It's a combo of legislation and customer demand.

Already in Europe over 90% of 911 buyers *choose* PDK. The end.

It's ghastly and personally I'm not remotely interested in driving an auto sports car. But the commercial reality is that this is what buyers want.

Lordblood 05-01-2013 05:32 PM

As a enthusiast, I am sad to see the major sports car brands step away from manual transmissions. I believe Ferrari and Lamborghini don't offer any cars with manuals anymore. But I do understand the cause, if the vast majority of people buy automatics, the company would lose way too much money offering the minority manual transmissions. All it means is that the last breed of manual transmission sports cars (the newest 911's for instance) will become classics and will become a bragging right for enthusiasts in the future. Maybe we should hold onto our manual transmission Boxsters for a few years to see if they appreciate in value :P

Topless 05-01-2013 05:35 PM

Never fear, there will always be classic 20th century cars around with the good old manual gears. People still fly biplanes with radial engines and classic Ryan monoplanes, drive air-cooled manual sports cars, use film cameras, wind grandfather clocks, and barbecue over charcoal. Time and technology marches on but we all have our comfort zones.

Skrapmot 05-01-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pothole (Post 340496)
It's not Porsche killing them off. It's a combo of legislation and customer demand.

Already in Europe over 90% of 911 buyers *choose* PDK. The end.

It's ghastly and personally I'm not remotely interested in driving an auto sports car. But the commercial reality is that this is what buyers want.

Ditto, just like hybrid Cayennes, it's an attempt to meet future EU smog standards.

kashmir 08-20-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 340421)
The new Porsche 911 Turbo and GT3 will NOT be available with manual transmissions.

PDK only.

The next generation 911 Carrera, Boxster and Cayman are expected to follow in those footsteps.[/url]

Yes this is true, all porsche car will be PDK in 3 years, according to Porsche USA.

HammerESQ 08-20-2013 07:29 AM

This makes me very sad. I get all the arguments in favor of PDK, but it doesn't come close to a 6th to 3rd downshift with perfect rev matching and a nice corner. Just my .02

gregdacat 08-21-2013 03:05 AM

Believe me it is not just Porsche or cars in general for that matter. I am the Safety Supervisor for the second largest privately held waste hauler in the US and I can tell you it is getting hard to find a new trash truck that is a manual transmission. Nearly all of the major manufacturers, Mack, International, ect. have gone to automatics. Rear loaders, Front loaders, Side loaders, Box Trucks, Portable Toilet trucks all automatics. About the only trucks that are still predominately manual transmission are Roll Off Trucks.

While a Rear load driver that has 300-450 stops a day or a Side Loader who can have up to 1000 stops love not having to shift all day this can be a problem. In the Commonwealth of Kentucky if you show up to take your CDL driver's test in an automatic they put a restriction on your license that states you cannot drive a manual. So if a guy has this restriction and wants to transfer to Roll Off he is SOL. We generally have to send a driver taking his test in a Roll Off or find some rusted out junk bucket in the bone yard that has a manual.

Looks like people like me that were weaned on a 5 and 2 or a 13 speed are modern day dinosaurs.

Flavor 987S 08-21-2013 04:08 AM

Has anyone been out to their dealerships to look at any new 911's, Caymans, or Boxsters? Did you look in the windows? Did you see any manual transmissions?

I didn't see any.

It's not Porsche killing off the manual transmissions, it's the dealerships. They only order in PDK cars for the showroom and parking lot.:)

I love rowing gears.

SeanZ4 08-21-2013 05:59 AM

I love shifting gears too! I don't know about our trash trucks? They're mostly 'Waste Management' trucks, if that means anything??? I think they're all autos. I have noticed that the ups trucks are still manuals. I'm not sure about the Fedx trucks though?? I guess I'm showing my age but I always equate manual transmissions to sports cars.