986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Loose gear knob (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45356-loose-gear-knob.html)

Squozen 04-30-2013 09:34 PM

Loose gear knob

Hi all - my 2003S has a gearstick knob that slides off the shaft too easily. I've checked it and there's no screw or anything to tighten it. Has anybody had/solved this problem?

I'm thinking a bit of loctite along the shaft might be the way to go, but I'm worried I might make it IMPOSSIBLE to remove in the future...

BrokenLinkage 05-01-2013 04:12 AM

When I flip the skirt of the boot up, I have to loosen a set screw at the base of the knob to remove it. Are you sure you didn't lose such a set screw down in your center console housing? I believe the set screw was silver colored with an allen key head.

Burg Boxster 05-01-2013 05:00 AM

Not all models/shift knobs have set screws and even if they do, most are designed still w/ a compression fit.

A little bit of loctite blue (even purple) will be fine but I wouldn't dare use loctite red.

Good luck :)

Tieniber 05-01-2013 06:36 AM

In hockey we used to wrap some tape around the stick before putting the "butt end" on. The added friction and diameter from the tape kept the end on the stick. I'm thinking something similar might work well here, either with electrical or cloth tape.

Kenny Boxster 05-01-2013 07:40 AM

Are you sure the knob is seated properly? You need to push down very hard on the knob before it "catches" on the rod. It's possible for the knob to be attached, but still not seated properly.

Squozen 05-03-2013 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses (and yes, my knob didn't have a screw which surprised me. I assumed that it was loose because the screw had backed out).

Kenny, that is a really interesting suggestion and I'll check that today. I'm presuming I can't push it down hard enough to break anything...

Squozen 05-03-2013 07:08 PM

Kenny, thank you so much! It turns out the shift knob was never clipped in properly from the day I bought it. Obviously somebody removed it during a service and never reinstalled it correctly. Now my issue is that the stick looks so much shorter than I'm used to!

Burg Boxster 05-04-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squozen (Post 340889)
that the stick looks so much shorter than I'm used to!

That's what she said :D

j/k ;)

Squozen 05-06-2013 02:38 AM

It was unavoidable, wasn't it.

bjoernrasmussen 03-27-2020 05:47 AM

I had same problem with 986 tiptronic year 1997. After reading this post I put a bit of Loctite on and I could see that some earlier owners had done the same because I could see old glue there. Anyway - now it is ok - thx.