986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rad hoses - Replace with water pump? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45353-rad-hoses-replace-water-pump.html)

MFozz 04-30-2013 05:31 PM

Rad hoses - Replace with water pump?

I'm gearing up to replace my water pump & thermostat as preventative maintenance on my 2000S. I figure I should probably replace the rear rad hoses at the same time. I think that the front hoses will be ok as they are not subject to the same engine heat as the rear hoses.

It looks like I can save a bit of money by using hoses manufactured by URO rather than by Phoenix (OEM Supplier).

Does anyone have experience with URO hoses? Is there any reason I should get the OEM ones?

What other hoses should I replace at the same time? If there was a complete hose kit that wasn't overly expensive I would probably change everything out... So far I haven't been able to find a complete kit.

Has anyone actually had a hose fail on them?

rem503 04-30-2013 06:28 PM

Hi.
I used uro hoses from paragon porsche. I replaced 13 hoses including the front top and bottom radiator hoses, the 2 large return hoses, the 3 way hose, a long u shaped heater hose next the the water pump and the oil cooler hose. It was difficult and I needed the special hose clamp plier tool, channel locks and long long handled curved pliers to remove the old hoses and reinstall the new hoses. All the 13 year old hoses looked fine but now I know all the rubber is new. Good luck. It just required a bit of persistence. The uro hoses look and fit fine. I have a 2000 manual transmission base model.

AKnowles 05-01-2013 07:58 AM

FWIW, I just ordered all OEM hoses for this very same job from SunCoast (see my previous thread for part numbers). I think the price was $138 for the hoses and clamps.

Also, I plan to replace the front hoses (all of them) when I install my center radiator in the fall/winter. Too hot over spring/summer out here.

Main reason to replace them is there is a lot of contamination (rubber debris) in the cooling system. It had Prestone in it last time, you can see the dye in the hose, but I've flushed it with distilled water about 3 times and still have a significant amount of black particles. So, I'm assuming my hoses have slowly been disintegrating and plan to replace them all.

DennisAN 05-09-2014 08:39 AM

I replaced the four hoses at the front of the engine with OEM Porsche hoses from ECM Tuning. My cooling system has always had OEM Porsche coolant in it. The hoses I took off weren't shedding into the system. But then again my car only has 52K miles.

I'm considering going cheap with the URO hoses for the eight at the front of the car (4 radiator hoses, 4 connecting hoses). Any more comments on the URO hoses? RockAuto has them cheap.

Deserion 05-09-2014 09:58 AM

Just an FYI, Uro brand parts are utter junk. There's a good reason why they're as cheap as they are - you're not buying quality. Yes, sometimes they only cost 1/4 of the OE or OEM part, but you will also have to replace the part more often so it's not really a savings. I've seen the horror stories in the Mercedes circles, and with something critical like a coolant hose there's no way I'm going to cheap out and get stranded. For some inconsequential part, maybe.

Go with an OEM manufacturer or try parts.com (AutoNation, so OE parts). It's a Porsche, not an old Civic. :D