Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #1

Garage
Preventative IMS Repair?

Hello,

I did some searching and didn't see anything regarding a preventative fix for the IMS failures on these Boxsters.

Today, I bought my first Porsche - a 2002 Boxster with 80k miles! The motor sounds amazing and the car has no drips, leaks, etc. The inspection showed no faults, so I am very happy with my purchase. The more I read about IMS failures, the more I want to just fix that bearing before it blows apart my motor.

I saw may repair kits for this online, but didn't see many people who had bought one. Is there anyone out there with experience in this area? I'm located in Chicago and am still looking for a Porsche mechanic. I know this will be an expensive fix, but in my mind it seems worth it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Brad

bptasienski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Garage
Yes, you can replace the IMS Bearing preventatively on a 2002 -- not a problem, but not a small operation. If you are are anywhere near needing a new clutch or RMS it's a good time to do that as well.

An other alternative is the IMS Solution, but I dont' believe anyone other than Jake Raby is installing them -- requires shipping your car to GA, but seems like the best possible solution.

Midwest Performance Cars on Lake & Ogden does all of my work, and did my IMS Bearing -- prices are fair, and the staff is extremely knowledgeable & experienced.

IMS Retrofit | The LN Engineering IMS Retrofit Kit for MY97-05 Porsche Boxster and 911 Models

Midwest Performance Cars | BMW Repair, Mercedes Repair & Porsche Repair in ChicagoMidwest Performance Cars

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote