Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Unhappy Paint peeling off armrests

Yesterday I noticed some peeling on both armrests. I'm going to obviously get this warranteed, but I wonder if it has happened to anyone else.

I didn't realize that most of the plastic in the car gets that nice, soft feeling by being painted by a thin, rubbery coating. Sure I can get this fixed, but now I'm bothered by the rest of the interior!

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:24 AM   #2

Soft touch plastic started for MY00. Common complaint for the door storage lids. Some say it is related to the use of sun screen. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:41 AM   #3
Regional Moderator

Thanks Jeff. Covering it with leather may be my next DIY project. I wonder what an OEM stiched one looks like.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:58 PM   #4

I have noticed the same on my driver's side ('01). Also, I had the right (tuner) radio knob replaced as it became "sticky" over the last couple of months.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:55 PM   #5

Boy, Porsche is getting tough on things.

My friend with a 2000 took his car in for warranty work and I was there at our local dealer to give him a ride home. He had the usual bubbles/peeling on the rubber coating. The service guy said they would most likely not replace it - which they have always done in the past.

I have known the service writer for 4 years. I asked if Porsche was still doing the air bag fix for free on out of warranty cars. I had it done last year ago on my long out of warranty 1997.

They did not replace my friend's arm rest, and he said that as of July 1st Porsche is tough on the air bag fix. Guess their profits are down.

This is my friend's arm rest.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

That looks exactly like mine. I sure hope the other pieces don't do the same thing. I have a feeling they may delaminate around the time my warranty is up--although perhaps from what you say it may not be covered anyway!
Old 09-05-2003, 06:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

Same problem with peeling on armrest. 01 S. Also the knob on the radio is scratched up. Anyone having any luck getting it fixed under warranty? Is it worth trying different dealers?
Rockchalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #8

Talking Whew!

Kinda makes me glad I have a '99. That looks pretty bad.

mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote