Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #1

Question Tires for my 1997 Boxster?

Ok, just picked up my 97 Boxster but I think I want to put new tires on. They currently have Michelins on 17" rims. Was that the factory tire choice back then? I'm sticking with 17's for now, so what would you recommend for the tire replacement (Perelli, same Michelins, other?)?

Also, is Mobil One the only oil I should use? Thanks.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #2

Hoser, you've opened up two BIG cans of worms with this post. Tires and Oil. Sheesh!

1. Tires: Do a search on "tires" and you'll find page after page of what people like and dislike on this list. My advice is to buy as good a tire as you can afford, and remember that the rear tires will wear out quickly due to the camber settings. I have decided to go with Sumitomos because they're cheap, look good, last about as long as other brands, and ToolPants has them on his Boxster and he's my hero on this list and Renntech. If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me. Conversely, you'll find that many, many other Boxster owners here like other brands for various reasons and none of us have a favorite, but we sure do have our gripes about rubber we've put on our cars in the past! BTW, I'm currently running Kumhos and they're not bad, but not great. They're very slippery in cold weather here in Houston (45 degrees or lower), but then again, high speed summer tires will be that way.

2. Oil: Same thing, do a search and you'll find more strong opinions. However, most use Mobil 1. The real debate is viscosity... Porsche recommends 0w40 Mobil 1. It's hard to find though and expensive when you do find it. 5w40 can also be used if you don't live in the North, it's found most everywhere (Wallyworld, Kmart, etc.) and goes on sale all the time. Just be sure not to run mineral oils in your boxster. That's a no-no.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #3

Sorry for the can of worms!

RandallNeighbour, didn't know I'd be stepping into it right off the bat -- sorry!

This is my first Boxster and I'm learning as I go. The rear tires are different size than the fronts, correct? Looks like that from all the posts. I wasn't aware of this!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
RandallNeighbour, didn't know I'd be stepping into it right off the bat -- sorry!

This is my first Boxster and I'm learning as I go. The rear tires are different size than the fronts, correct? Looks like that from all the posts. I wasn't aware of this!

AHAHA welcome to the world of PORSCHE.......EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT and VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. Stock size on your car is 205/50/17 FRONTS and 255/40/17 REARS. Get ready to put about $1,000.00 for tires. I personally LOVE the Bridgestone S-03s.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #5

You don't have to pay a grand for rubber though. My Kumho Ecsta MX's were about 500 bucks for all four, and the Sumitomos are even less expensive.

If you just bought your 97, you need to read the links at the bottom of my signature line... I have a 97 as well, but I bet yours is in far better condition than mine was.

The 97's are now old enough to need some things replaced due to age, not just mileage. My web site details these things.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #6

Garage
17" tires

Depending on whether you drive in the wet much, I've got two choices:

Wet weather---Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (?) Excellent in the wet, very good in dry. quiet, good wearing.

Dry---------------Michelin Mxxx3--Terrific dry weather tire, mediocre in wet. Great steering response, quiet and I got 30K out of a set. Tirerack has them in 225/45/17 & 255/40/17 sizes.
-----------------
PS2's are a given but they are a bit more expensive and their wear characteristics have been questioned.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #7

pick up the latest Road and Track. They evaluated about 10 tires in dry and wet running. They even posted autocross times. Very interesting.
Some decent tires for $150 each.

I'm debating whether I should go with full snows or all seasons.
Got stuck in some snow once before I got home. Its a looooong winter up here in the north east.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #8

What were the winners?

Hey Perfectlap, don't leave us hangin' -- what were the winning tires!!
:dance:
Old 12-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #9

My experience ......

with the only tires I have had on my Box has been pretty good....But only in warmer climates. Pirellis seem to get a bad rep, but for everyday driving and spirited they have worked quite well.....They have almost 10,000 miles on them, and the rears look good for about another 5k I would guess. Fronts probably more! Lasting me longer than I was led to believe....Not especially good in the wet stuff tho....

How you drive can make a difference in the tires longevity as well

Lou

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #10

Thumbs up Weather conditions:

Well, since I started this post, I'll tell you my weather conditions in case since it will make a difference:

I'm in central California:
Summer -- HOT. Usually 100+ of dry heat.
Winter -- some normal rain and fog can be bad (which can make the road more slippery than rain because it's such a light mist). No ice or snow to be concerned about. Pretty temperate all year.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Well, since I started this post, I'll tell you my weather conditions in case since it will make a difference:

I'm in central California:
Summer -- HOT. Usually 100+ of dry heat.
Winter -- some normal rain and fog can be bad (which can make the road more slippery than rain because it's such a light mist). No ice or snow to be concerned about. Pretty temperate all year.

Stick with summer tires...No need to change them for winter and summer. I live in cali as well and Summer tires do just fine in our weather....

I personally only stick to Michelin Pilot Sport and Bridgestone S-03s, i dont get the same response from other tires.

TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote