Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Garage
How hard to Swap in Electric Seats?

I found some heated/electric seats. Anyone know how hard it would be to swap these for my basic seats? Would I have to do some re-wiring? Has anyone tried this? It would be nice to have the heated seats especially for my wife. I really don't care about the electric part but it would be nice.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #2

Garage
If you can figure out a way to use electric sliders/heater instead of the manual ones, you are more than welcome to trade with me. My seat's are no good, so you'd probably want the hardware, and I plan on getting aftermarket manual bucket seats sometime soon. I have electric and heated seats, but I actually wish my came manual and non heated- they weigh 58 pounds a piece, and I rarely used the heated seats, even in the winter.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Bruce, I put 987/997 heated seats in my 986 for comfort. Of course the air bag will never be hooked up. I did a bunch of searches on wiring up the heading part, in fact I was hoping maybe back in 2000 they just pre-wired all cars the same and so possibly it was just a matter of hooking them up and putting the switches in. From what i could read it would require a whole new wiring harness (or a used one). I was like, well forget that!

If no one answers here check over on Pelican forum.

Good luck!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks guys, after some more research, it is probably not worth the effort. I was hoping that Porsche would have wired them all the same but it sounds like they didn't. I also thought my wife would like the heated seats but she said she is fine the way the seats are. So I guess that takes care of that!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote