Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Key Stuck in Ignition... Urgent

So my key is stuck in the ignition... And considering I'm in public I don't think it's a good idea to leave a Porsche with the key in it laying around.

Any tips?

Cars starts/stops fine.
Battery will not shut off since the key is in.. I can manually turn off the radio and not much else

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Murrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Try turning the steering wheel slightly in both directions while attempting to turn the key and remove it.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

Try moving the steering wheel to take pressure off the key. The wiggle while you slightly try to pull the key out. If those don't work then you are going to have to let the key stay stuck there until you can replace the switch itself. However, as you have discovered, the electrical components are on with the key in the ignition. So you need to get home, pop the front trunk lid and disconnect the battery until you can replace the switch! And don't shut the trunk!

This is a common problem with Boxsters. It is the exception rather than the rule to the entire housing to have to be replaced. 99% of the time it is only the switch itself, and it can be bought from any Audi dealer for less than $30 to $40. It is Audi part # 4A0 905 849 B.

It is an easy DIY, except that you have to be nimble and be able to do contortionist tricks to get into the proper position under the dash.

There is an excellent write up at this link with detailed photos: Porsche Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Moving the steering wheel doesn't help, it just turns the wheels normally. It ended up coming out after I drove around for 20 minutes on my way to my next destination.

Murrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Plan on replacing your ignition switch (electrical portion) soon. It will likely happen again, or worse, you won't be able to get the key into the ignition, leaving you stranded.

(Speaking from experience)
Ninety9 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Porsche makes a dirt-cheap ignition switch. I've replaced 3 over the years.

You will also experience some odd electrical demons. You may find the car won't turn off and you'll drain your battery tonight. Definitely want to get that squared away.

BTW - It is rumored that one of the causes of ignition switch issues is extra weight on the keychain. I keep nothing on my Porsche key these days, not a house key, not even a key chain.

/
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
BTW - It is rumored that one of the causes of ignition switch issues is extra weight on the keychain. I keep nothing on my Porsche key these days, not a house key, not even a key chain.
Just wanted to +1 this. It's been said on a few occasions, and it wouldn't surprise me. My Porsche keys are simply by themselves with a keychain that does nothing more than help me locate it in my pocket amongst other keys. Judging by your picture, you have a few keys and a fair amount of solid looking stuff on that chain, Murrgh. It's nice to have all your keys in one place, but in this case you may want to keep your Porsche keys separate.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Garage
Firstly I would like to say hello to everybody on the forum, it is my first post here.
I am recently 98 boxster owner.

Today I was mounting 2din navi in my car. I have removed instrument (speedo console) to route microphone.
I was not very gentle, I have pulled off (ripped) cables from old microphone from another audio.
Then my key was stuck. I am afraid I might hava done something to the wireing of ignition signal. Right now key doesn't go to "0" position, it makes no difference if I set transmition to parking, drive etc. Steering wheel doesnt get locked at all.
Do you know on which connections I should look up before replacing switch?
I dont want to end up in curious situation that I am spending fortune and hours at a dealer, replacing switch, maybe lock and there is still no result.
I would be very grateful for your help.
Regards,
Kris

Last edited by klab; 11-06-2015 at 09:40 AM.
klab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrgh View Post

So my key is stuck in the ignition... And considering I'm in public I don't think it's a good idea to leave a Porsche with the key in it laying around.

Any tips?

Cars starts/stops fine.
Battery will not shut off since the key is in.. I can manually turn off the radio and not much else

Thanks

Is your car Tip ? If so you may have other issues.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 AM   #10

Garage
Yes, it is tiptronic. What kind of issues do you expect?
regards,
Kris
Old 11-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #11

This happened to me a decade ago. The problem was the key cylinder in the switch assembly. My indie fixed it so I can't tell you what part to buy or how to change it out. If you can find a low price switch, change it out or this will happen again. Good luck.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Just wanted to +1 this. It's been said on a few occasions, and it wouldn't surprise me. My Porsche keys are simply by themselves with a keychain that does nothing more than help me locate it in my pocket amongst other keys. Judging by your picture, you have a few keys and a fair amount of solid looking stuff on that chain, Murrgh. It's nice to have all your keys in one place, but in this case you may want to keep your Porsche keys separate.
I've replaced the ignition switch twice in my car in the last 7 years. I've never had anything attached to the key.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Garage
Just so you guys are clear the current question asker revived a 2 year old thread. I wouldn't mention it except we are quoting people from two years ago who answered the original question.

For the guy with the question, use the search and you'll find loads and loads about ignition switch replacement.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Just so you guys are clear the current question asker revived a 2 year old thread. I wouldn't mention it except we are quoting people from two years ago who answered the original question.

For the guy with the question, use the search and you'll find loads and loads about ignition switch replacement.
"use search" - this is what I did and I got here, this discussion matches my issue the best.
Regarding 2 years thread - some are 2 days, weeks, etc. Time is time, people are still able to reply. It means that topic is interesting. I don't see any problem here neither and I am closing this sub-thread.
Regards,
Kris
Old 11-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #15

Garage
Thanks for tips. My concern is that ignition switch itself is OK, but signal from gearbox is NOK. By this I mean that ignition switch doesn't know that I put gearbox to parking ant this is the reason that I can't take out the key.
Doe's anyone know how to verify signal coming to the ignition switch? On the instrument I see that it is changing into P, but I am expecting signal wire from gearbox to the ignition switch to be the issue.
I will replace switch anyway.
I want to check signal before. Maybe any picture with descr. which cable to check with multimeter?
Thanks in advance.
Kris
Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #16

Garage
Thanks for some advises (and lack of them later on).
Issue solved.
I have swapped ignition switch - didn't help.

I have opened middle tunnel (around lever), pulled a bit steel wire that goes from gear stick switch to ignition lock - problem solved.

Kris