986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Opinions on Sumitomo HTR Z III Tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/44800-opinions-sumitomo-htr-z-iii-tires.html)

SvenskaPoika 04-15-2013 11:30 AM

Opinions on Sumitomo HTR Z III Tires

The price sure is great. My local independent mechanic thinks highly of them, although at half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sport tires I'd like some reassurance before I buy the tires.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

schnellman 04-15-2013 11:41 AM

The Search Engine

The search engine will provide you with more than enough feedback on these tires, and you will find that most if not all of it is positive.

boxster6354 04-15-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaPoika (Post 337634)
The price sure is great. My local independent mechanic thinks highly of them, although at half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sport tires I'd like some reassurance before I buy the tires.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have had them on for the last year or so, they are nice tires for the money for sure, handle well in the rain and dry roads and wear well, but for spirited driving on the hot Houston roads they do tend not to grab as well as I would like and do tend to slip a bit.

boxster99 04-15-2013 12:01 PM

I had them on my 99 base and they are great! Can't beat the price.

Tony

mountainman 04-15-2013 12:21 PM

I have them on a boxster and have no problem with them at all. I do prefer hankooks and they are slightly cheaper and seem to last a bit longer.

AKnowles 04-15-2013 02:01 PM

I liked them a lot. Good stick and quiet. When I runined a rear tire due to road debris, I had to repalce the rear with Hankook. My local tire dealer coun't find the Sumitomo.

steved0x 04-15-2013 03:28 PM

I've got them on my 2000 Boxster S. It had them when I bought it, but the rears were at state minimum so I had the shop that did the PPI put new ones on that I got from TireRack. I have 4,000 miles on them now and am happy with them. I don't have anything to compare them with though since I have never had a high performance car with other tires before. But when I am ready for the next set of tires, I will probably go with them again.

Steve

AndyA6 04-15-2013 03:30 PM

Great tire, no complaints here!

schnellman 04-15-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKnowles (Post 337674)
I liked them a lot. Good stick and quiet. When I runined a rear tire due to road debris, I had to repalce the rear with Hankook. My local tire dealer coun't find the Sumitomo.

Tire Rack will deliver any tire you want in the blink of an eye. And, they'll identify local installers.

AKnowles 04-15-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I need a new set of rears. The fronts are still Sumitomos.

Coffinhunter 04-16-2013 05:42 AM

Had them on a previous vehicle and loved them. When the Michilins on the Boxster wear out, that is what will most likely be going on!

kk2002s 04-16-2013 06:30 AM

Came on my Box from last September. I have driven them through this mild winter without any noticeable effects. I've put on about 6k since I bought the car and the tread is still in great shape. I have notice no desire to lose traction in Cold or wet. I'm looking forward to some higher temp days to see how they perform.

yagoo15 06-03-2013 09:03 PM

Love

Got a set of 4 on Tirerack for $316 (before tax and after rebate today). Incredible deal IMHO. Only have about 30 miles on them but I really like them so far.

mountainman 06-04-2013 03:37 AM

I have them on one boxster and Hankook on the other boxster and C4. They hold about the same, but the hankooks last a bit longer and the price is comparable.

steved0x 06-04-2013 04:53 AM

I think Tirerack has a rebate going on right now for the Hankook Ventu Evos

Hankook****Ventus V12 evo K110 S&autoModClar=

For my boxster it would be $350 for a set of 4, only $20 more than the Sumitomos.

I still have a ways to go before I am ready for new tires, but it if there is a rebate going and I may try something new. If no rebate, then I will get 4 more Sumitomos. And sometimes they have a $50 rebate on those.

mikesz 06-04-2013 05:02 AM

Just bought a set for my 99 boxster and have no complaints so far. from what I read they tend to wear quickly due to softer compound but since I only expect to put 3-5k per year they should last at least 5 years so I am ok with that.

mountainman 06-04-2013 06:44 AM

Just checked mine and The last rear sumitomos lasted about 7500 miles and the ones I have on the rear now have 4K on them and are at least half gone. Fronts last for 2 rear sets. This is on a boxster S with tiptronic. Granted, I live in the mountains where curves are the norm and I drive it like it was a Porsche. Hankooks last me at least 4K to 5K longer.

boxster6354 06-04-2013 10:54 AM

Just this weekend I had an "Inner Tread Separation" (That's what the tire shop said) on my front driver side, was driving down the freeway at 60 mph and all hell broke loose with major vibration, lucky the next exit had a tire shop. I had a look at the tire and outside looked fine but once they took it off the rim I was surprised at the amount of rubber destroyed on the inside :eek:

Had maybe 3,000 miles on the front tires.