Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #1

Upgrading Car Stereo.

I am currently looking into upgrading the factory stereo. I currently have only the front dash speakers and will upgrade to get door speakers, then an amp, then the rear speakers. I would like a system that will allow for all of the upgrades, total of 6 speakers. A few questions:

1) Any recs. on a stereo that fits into a 2001 Boxster.

2) Will I be able to install the new system myself with minimal rewiring?

3) Is there an aftermarket stereo that will still allow me to use the factory installed 6 disc changer? Do I care if I get an MP3 ready system?

4) XM vs. Sirius, any opinions on which service to go with.

Thanks in advance for the input.

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM   #2

search threads on this forum with "stereo" and "replacement" and you'll get a wealth of information and opinions, some of which are mine so I won't repeat myself
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #3

Thanks Randall.
AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #4

xm

I currently have XM and I love it. It really depends on what type of service you want. The biggest difference I have found is in the sports lineup. With XM you get big ten, pac 10 and Acc Football and basketball games. You also get MLB and NHL. Sirrus has the NFL and the NBA. Espn does a few NBA games on xm as well. Music and News channels are similar with both. Xm has weather and traffic channels for major cities. I’m not sure if sirrus has that yet. I haven’t looked at sirrus in a while. They may have closed the gap by now.

Either way you go, satellite radio will change your listening habits. I haven’t tuned to local radio or used my cd changer in months. This is where all of the good music has gone. Of course they have top 20 stations too. Only, a 40yr old DJ pretending to be 21 doesn't interupt your fun every 15 minutes to tell you how great the teeth whitening and hair removal procedures he got down at Dr. Bobs house of denistry and wax were.

If you go with XM and are replacing your head unit I recommend going with the xm direct units. They run about $100 for both of the pieces you will need and are controlled by the head unit. Another option is the Roady. It’s not as clean, but it only cost $30. You can also bring it inside and listen to it at work. If you get a Roady, spend the extra $15 for the remote. The remote also comes with home kit.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #5

I also have xm and agree with what's posted below. I got it primarily for Baseball, but the music stations are very good too.

cfos is offline   Reply With Quote