Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #1

Unhappy REAR Hatch Release Cable

2K Boxter S, 58K miles

My cable release broke right where it enters the clip ring at the latch for my rear trunk. It looks like it pulled out of the pressed-on clip. Dealer says $125/hr for 5 hours to REPLACE the entire $42 cable assembly. They have to remove inside body panels, trim, etc to access the cable, which is fastened to the body in places, negating the possibility of pulling in a new assembly while pulling out the old.
Is this RIGHT? I find it difficult to believe it takes 5 hours to replace this assembly! There has to be an easier, (did the engineers planned ahead?)(and cheaper) way to do it.

Any help, Thanks.

BD.

BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #2

Does it look like this?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
olly986

i am very interested, mine is very stiff at time and i have to push at the front of handle to be able to open the trunk, i hope that it is not the cable worsening the other ressort is to use the key only to open the trunk it will be cheaper you should be able to buy batteries for the next.....50 years :dance:
Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #4

bump for my first big (little) problem

hey all, my rear trunk cable snapped. i can only open the trunk with the remote now. i'm assuming i need a new whole cable assembly or something instead of just a cable. also guess that this is a few hours labor. any info on what i should expect?
thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #5

in typical porsche mechanic fashion, my estimates have a pretty broad range. annoying, but it is, what it is. without disparaging other local los angeles mechanics, I will say that Dutch Treat quoted 1 hour to replace it. kinda makes me feel like some of those other mechanics that I'm not disparaging either like to charge way too many hours or just charge people to learn how to work on their cars.
2 thumbs up for dutch treat.
the part was only $40.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #6

Do you have the P/N for it? I have the exact same problem, and need to replace it.

Thanks in advance
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

Anyone have this part number?
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
i am very interested, mine is very stiff at time and i have to push at the front of handle to be able to open the trunk, i hope that it is not the cable worsening the other ressort is to use the key only to open the trunk it will be cheaper you should be able to buy batteries for the next.....50 years :dance:
Go pick up some Dry Slide and lube the cables. My front cable was stiff. Lubed it up and its smooth as can be now. Most of the time you can find that stuff at motorcycle shops. We use the stuff to lube throttle cables,clutch cables on bikes.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #9

FYI- this is a 2 year old thread. I just bumped for part number

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote