Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #1

The Big Texan...72oz of goodness!

Had a training flight to the Big Texan in Amarillo, Texas. Has anyone heard of this place? They have a 72oz steak and if you eat all of it and the sides it is free! I ate a 36oz sirloin and I thought I was going to explode. The really bad part was flying home and having the cabin pressurization squeeze out the gaseous by-products. 3 pounds of meat does not sit well under any circumstance...I wonder if I have meat poisoning from eating an excessive amount? Any Docs out there? Is that possible? The Mc-rumbles are starting...

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #2

If your liver is healthy then it is okay to eat 36oz sirloin once in a while. Your body can handle it just fine It is not healthy, but once is a while is okay. This is from a professional medical opinion

Of course, if you have sky rocketed cholesterol level or diabetes, then eating this much is considered dangerous.

I've been to Amarillo, but never visited Big Texan (darn!).
Old 12-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #3

I enjoyed the Big Texan the few times I've been to Amarillo. Neat atmosphere and I like the way they put people "on display" when they are attempting to eat the big steak. Never had it myself as the first time I went there, I was going there witht the intent to eat the steak, but I didn't realize you had to eat the sides as well. I could do the steak, but I wouldn't be able to do the salad and shrimp cocktail.

Believe it or not, there is a former major league baseball player that once ate two in a row!!! I don't recall his name but remember seeing it when I was at the restaraunt.

Mike

2001 Boxster
1972 911 T Targa
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 AM   #4

What a great marketing plan. Very few humans can consume a 72 oz steak and the side orders of beans and potatoes. God just didn't create stomachs to hold that much food at once. The failure rate among those trying to eat it is huge (and so are they, doh!) and the restaurant sells lots of seared cow flesh that goes home in to-go boxes

From a marketing perspective, you gotta love their moxy.

Now If I needed to eat that much meat, I think I'd demand it be brought to me so overcooked that all the moisture was out of it... that would reduce it's physical size, although it would increase its density!

I never thought about pressurized cabins squeezing out the gas inside people... no wonder I always need to toot in the plane!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #5

The AAA auto club once did a write up about the place. I was always in the South-eastern part of texas (when I lived there) and never made it out north. I remember the pictures of those steaks cooking -- reminded me of the Flintstones Brontosaurus steaks.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #6

Dont they have that at Lone Star too? Anyway, at Lone Star, you don't have any sides but have limited time to eat it: 1 hour....it's actually pretty funny how people who do finish the steak have their picture taken and posted on the wall of shame...and obviously...not fame...lol...

Personnally...I never actually witnessed this event but I'm guessing it's gotta be good...lol

BTW: After a 16oz...im out...so props to those who can handle 36...that's a lotta cow for 1 man...
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to shift26
after reading this, I had to look it up... for those that want pics, go here
http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.html
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #8

This reminds me of a HILARIOUS episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes a trucker. Funny stuff.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #9

Thumbs down

The car pictured on the website was awesome! The guy picked us up from the airport and took us to the restaurant. It was an old cadillac limo with giant horns on the hood (like Boss Hog's car). I asked the old guy if I could drive it...he said no.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #10

Best I could do was a tall Guinness, potato, salad, and a beautiful, medium-rare 32 oz. Porterhouse at Texas Roadhouse Grill in Killeen, TX last time I was out there.

I felt like I was going to pop for like two days.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 AM   #11
bmussatti

Wow, some very-very big people on that list (from the web-site) have eaten that steak. Some small ones too, but not too common.

A good range was noted too...one dude was 5'6" and 480 pounds, while another guy was 5'7" and 150 pounds.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I never thought about pressurized cabins squeezing out the gas inside people... no wonder I always need to toot in the plane!
Guys, pressurized cabins don't "squeez" you at all. Once your ears are done poping, the pressure inside your body is the same outside. (IE equalize) trust me, the same is true for scuba diving, which I do frequently. (sure is a tight fit for the tank in the front trunk!)
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 AM   #13

ok ok, for all you sharpshooters out there...I used the wrong term. Our cabin keeps a 6000 ft cabin at 22000. So I the gas actually expands which makes it want to escape. Just trying to paint a picture...geez.

By the way, grass is blue.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 12-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #14

From the link provided by Shift26:

Frank Pastore, a professional pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, ate the complete steak dinner in a record that still stands today of just 9½ minutes back in May of 1987. This was Frank's 7th and fastest time to complete the steak contest in 11 years of running to spring training in Florida.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote