986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cats on the Roof! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4437-cats-roof.html)

cnk 12-05-2005 05:39 PM

Cats on the Roof!

Does anybody have any tips for keeping cats from sleeping on your convertible top all night?

I park my '02 Boxster S in a garage, but it's open, so neighborhood cats can wander in and out. They seem to like to spend the night hanging out on my car's roof. I guess if there are no warm hoods to lie on, a cloth top is warmer than a cold slab of metal.

The main thing that I've noticed is that there are lots of cat hairs on my top. The other thing I fear is that they may eventually decide that the top is a good material to sharpen their claws on.

Any suggestions?

threpwood 12-05-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnk
Does anybody have any tips for keeping cats from sleeping on your convertible top all night?

I park my '02 Boxster S in a garage, but it's open, so neighborhood cats can wander in and out. They seem to like to spend the night hanging out on my car's roof. I guess if there are no warm hoods to lie on, a cloth top is warmer than a cold slab of metal.

The main thing that I've noticed is that there are lots of cat hairs on my top. The other thing I fear is that they may eventually decide that the top is a good material to sharpen their claws on.

Any suggestions?

I suggest you to get a car cover to cover the top only (there's one sold just to cover the hardtop/softtop) and spray the cover with cats propellant. Its nails may leave mark on your top one day, not to mention on the hood/back if they slip on the way up. Cute little pet but pet can be annoying sometimes :)

Perfectlap 12-05-2005 06:45 PM

My cat was pretty sneaky, whenever I didn't put on the top cover he imediately jumped on the top for a nap.

deliriousga 12-05-2005 07:33 PM

Problem solved. :D

Seriously, they have some spray at pet stores that cats don't like. You can't smell it when it dries and it may break their habit.

SD987 12-05-2005 07:34 PM

A lint remover (like a roll of "reverse tape") used to spruce up clothing works pretty well on the canvas top.

limoncello 12-06-2005 03:52 AM

"and spray the cover with cats propellant"

Black powder, gasoline, lighter fluid - any of these would make a good propellant. Then all you need is a confined space to act as a barrel, and voila, airborne cat. Problem solved. ;)

I'd go with the cover.

Not on this car, but I have had cats that would crawl up in the warm engine compartment to sleep (Older american cars that USED to have enough room around the engine to actually reach things). The bottom ground effect panels should prevent that on the Box.

Ronzi 12-06-2005 04:43 AM

Scratches come in on little cat feet.
Frankly I would be more concerned about them raising cain with the paint. At least a top can be replaced cheaper (but not by much).

Brucelee 12-06-2005 06:05 AM

Yes, cats can and will scratch the paint. I would cover the car as suggested.

Alumium foil will keep them off the roof.

Good luck :cheers:

tqtran 12-06-2005 06:47 AM

Go out and buy an Airsoft gun (230fps or more). Walk up like you are going to pet the cat and shot it at point blank. It will never come back again :) Don't ask me how I know this works :rolleyes:

edit: an Airsoft gun is a toy gun that shoots plastic BBs. It won't kill anything.

bmussatti 12-06-2005 11:52 AM

Maybe you need to get a pet dog...a really big dog! A really big hungry dog.

Maybe I don't understand garages in California, but how about getting a door put on that garage.

cnk 12-06-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Maybe you need to get a pet dog...a really big dog! A really big hungry dog.

Maybe I don't understand garages in California, but how about getting a door put on that garage.

Thanks for all the advice.

To clarify things a bit, it's a communal garage for an apartment building. Metal gates all around it, but nothing solid enough to keep cats out. I guess if you assumed it was a house, that would be pretty confusing.

RandallNeighbour 12-06-2005 12:23 PM

I believe you need to attack the root of the problem. Covering the car and spraying stuff isn't the right way to go.

Go down to your local SPCA and borrow a live trap from them, and trap the cats by baiting it with sardines and putting it on your porch at night.

Don't say a word to anyone that you're doing it. Just take the cats in and be quiet about it. Should the cat have a tag, the owner will be notified and they will have to take off work and go retrieve their cat.

It will teach the cat and the owner a good lesson.

Cats are actually not supposed to be off a leash or outside one's fenced yard, just like dogs.

buckstr 12-06-2005 01:20 PM

I have several cats, but not your problem! The only thing I can think of that might keep them away is something with a smell they hate. Something really strong, like moth balls. Don't use ammonia - the smell is too close to urine.

cnk 12-07-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbth
Check this product , I'm not a cat person , but looks like this is worth a try to spread around your parking spot.

We have dogs and use a bitter apple spray as a repellent, don't know if that would be effective with cats.

Otherwise a cover is the only alternative.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-repellent.php

Interesting. I'd worry that a) it might not work and b) my car would start smelling like fox urine.

cnk

olly986 12-07-2005 01:55 PM

have 2 cats and lately the younger one decided to sleep on the boxster it got a serious kick up the arse and i haven't seen him on again, otherwise ground peppercorn is a good repellent just make sure to brush off before driving under rainy condition

Rail26 12-07-2005 07:21 PM

I have two cats...I bet if you tie them to the roof, take them for a little ride the problem will be solved. Effective and humane.