Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #1

Need advice (audio)

I visited an audio shop yesterday to upgrade my audio system and here is what I got:

They recommended me a setup below:
- 1 Relay box (basically a switch so I can connect my Ipod)
- The connector for Ipod will be located in the glove box
- 1 Crossover (Audio Control 4XS)
- 6 channels digital amps (1 amp per channel). They offered me amps from Flying Mole (model: PM-C161dc)
- Monster cables on all connections
- Display boxes setup for the amps in front trunk.
- Labour fee

Note: I am going to still use the stock speakers (the rear has Infinity Kappa speakers) and stock head unit. I already have CD player and changer.

Information about the amps (look for 1 channel ones) can be found here:
http://www.flyingmoleelectronics.com/products/cascadeseries.html

The specs are as follows (PM-C161dc is for DC and goes for about $500 each in here):

Rated output: 160watts/4 ohm x 1ch
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 25kHz (4 ohm/+0, -3db)
Distortion rate (THD): 0.05%(50watts at 1kHz, 4 ohm)
S-N ratio: 120dB(400Hz to 30kHz BPF)
Input Sensitibity/Input Impedance: 1V rms / 10kohm (VRmax)
Power Consumption: 0.6A/1ch (without LED), 5A/1ch (with LED)
Power Supply: DC 12 to 14.4V
Dimensions: 46.5(w) x 132.5(H) x 327(D)mm
Weight: 1 kg

They quoted me $7000 for the setup above. The amps cost about $3000, about $1500 for switch, relay, cables, and $2500 for display boxes and labour. System has lifetime warranty including labour. Wanted some opinion from your guys about this.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #2

$7,000 for you car stereo upgrade and you don't get a new head unit or speakers?

I for one just upgraded my head unit and speakers (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889, iPod interface, and MB Quart speakers for the dash and doors) for under a $1,000 installed and love the improvement. Next I plan to add an amp and perhaps a subwoofer for some additional base, but I won't be looking at $3,000 amps.... that's a bit out of my league.

I am still trying to fine tune the set up and finding it a bit hard to dial in. Some songs sound under-bassed and others distort. Sort of frustrating.

Your set up must sound amazing...keep us posted.

RIDE
RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE
$7,000 for you car stereo upgrade and you don't get a new head unit or speakers?

I for one just upgraded my head unit and speakers (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889, iPod interface, and MB Quart speakers for the dash and doors) for under a $1,000 installed and love the improvement. Next I plan to add an amp and perhaps a subwoofer for some additional base, but I won't be looking at $3,000 amps.... that's a bit out of my league.

I am still trying to fine tune the set up and finding it a bit hard to dial in. Some songs sound under-bassed and others distort. Sort of frustrating.

Your set up must sound amazing...keep us posted.

RIDE
That is a very nice setup under $1000.

The only reason that I keep the stock head unit because I want to preserve the porsche look. All I wanted is to run everything from my Ipod

I am planning to replace the stock speakers myself to cut some labour cost, but if the stock ones can sound incredibly good with the expensive amps, I will just stay with it...

The room in boxster is already small and I don't know if this set up is really necessary (1 amp per channel). I am also having distortion problem with my current set up and I just couldn't take it anymore. It's even more noticeable after I put in the rear units.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #4

Yeah... I got the $400 Kenwood deck on eBay for just over $200 brand new and the iPod interface was also about half price.

I am hoping that replacing the stock amp with something better will give me some additional improvement. I am sort of frustrated right now trying to dial things in and am also getting more distortion than I expected after the upgrade.

As for keeping the Porsche look...I struggle with that as well, but really love the modern look of this new deck.

RIDE
RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #5

Sounds like overkill!!!!

Yikes!
160 watts pushing stock Porsche speakers???

Unless you keep the volume way low, you'll surely blow those babies.....I doubt the stock speakers can handle more than 40 w rms.....

My advice......Pull back on all those amps, improve the stock speakers, and get yourself 1 6 channel amp or 2 multi channel amps to handle things. Will be cheaper and more efficent, and will still sound a lot better in the long run.

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Yikes!
160 watts pushing stock Porsche speakers???

Unless you keep the volume way low, you'll surely blow those babies.....I doubt the stock speakers can handle more than 40 w rms.....

My advice......Pull back on all those amps, improve the stock speakers, and get yourself 1 6 channel amp or 2 multi channel amps to handle things. Will be cheaper and more efficent, and will still sound a lot better in the long run.
Well... the rear speaker is not stock and can handle the amp I would think. I agree that the doors and front speakers may blow at some point LOL. I guess I'll have to start finding replacement 5'' and 4'' speakers soon.

I've just enlisted the boxs for a car show this December so I'm just gonna go with the amp. With all the $ spent, at least I should make it worthwhile.