986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Top Question/Problem? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4428-top-question-problem.html)

bigwatts 12-04-2005 02:14 PM

Top Question/Problem?

Can anyone help me with a top problem?

Today I went to lower my top on my 1997 boxster. (it was a beautiful 68 degrees in north carolina today). All went well and I had a nice drive. When I went to raise the top I noticed that the leading edge of the roof - The part that meets the top of the wind screen - was not coming forward evenly. The drivers side was coming up slower than the passenger side. The drivesr side eventually catches up and the roof seems to close fine. The uneven section is right when the top is trying to clear the windscreen and rollhoopes. I tried repeating the process and the top goes down fine at the same speed on each side. I preformed this twice. Both times the top did not come up evenly. Is this a common problem? It did not do this previous to today. The top makes no weird noises during the process. I dont hear any grinding or popping noises. Is this a simple alignment issue. If it is, what would cause the top to come out of allignment.

I have done some searching here and on rennlist without much luck in reguards to this particular problem. (although there are a lot of top problems :o -which is scarry)

Also. I had the rear window replaced within in the past 10 days. However, I checked the top about 3-4 times since the window was replaced and it seemed to work fine. I just wanted to include this variable.

Is the roof safe to use like this? When it meets the top of the windshield it seems aligned and the roof latches without any problem. If it helps I can probablt get some pictures. I have never worked on a convertible top but I am fairly mechanically inclined......

Hopefully some of you very knowledgable people can shed some light on this.

threpwood 12-04-2005 04:47 PM

I think it has something to do with the arm alignment (the bars that hold the moving soft top). Really doubt that anything is broken though.

jiggysubman 12-05-2005 01:51 AM

have you had the cables for the folding assy. replaced yet? If not, this could be the start of a kinda big problem. Does the clamshell look cockeyed when it lifts up? If so, you could be looking at big job.

bigwatts 12-05-2005 05:07 AM

I dont know if I have had the cables replaced or not. it may have have been done by the previous owner. I have read quite a bit about these cables. Can anyone point me to a thread or site that shows how to tell if you have the updated cables?

- the clamshell is functioning perfectly. It is nice and straight. Any other thoughts on this problem?

RandallNeighbour 12-05-2005 06:49 AM

Just look at the cables and see if you can find a sort of diamond shaped pattern coming from under the black plastic. This pattern shows you that they're the newer, reinforced ones and they've been replaced. In my 97, they had been replaced, probably under warranty.

I agree with others here...you need to have this looked at asap and don't continue to operate the top assuming it won't get worse quickly... when the transmissions on both sides are not in perfect sync, things can get very wonky with the clamshell and you can do $2500 worth of damage in a matter of seconds. Get it to a dealer or a mechanic who has worked on boxster tops and knows exactly what to do.

bigislandboxster 12-05-2005 07:06 AM

Good call Randall.....I recently took a look on my '98 to see if I had the upgraded cables, and I did :) ......I would also make sure you have the 3/4" sticking out on the end as well( per ToolPants), even tho these cables are reinforced, they can also wear over time from use....

bigwatts 12-05-2005 08:03 AM

WOW - $2500.00 worth of dammage? I am not gonna touch that switch. I will take a look at the cables and get it into the shop ASAP.

Randall, what causes $2500.00 worth of damage to the top?? Would I know if I did $2500.00 in damage?

Any chance this is something simple and inexpensive to fix??

Thanks,