Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

Honk does not work when my car is turned on

Hi fellas,

I have this very weird problem.

When my car is not started, my honk works.

When I insert the key and turn on the car (with or without starting the engine).. the honk doesn't work.

This poses a problem for me, because we often only use our honk when we are driving!

In addition, in tip manual mode, the gear shifters on the steering wheel doesn't work. Related?

Can someone shed light? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would say you have a clock spring issue, but that would not explain the horn working with ignition off. When was the last time you replaced the ignition switch? I'd start there and order a clock spring from Woody if needed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #3

Hey, hmm.. I bought this car a few months back and have never worked on the ignition/clock spring..

It's really weird. My mechanic (whom I'm replacing) says it's an air bag sensor issue and wants to charge me an arm and leg for it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
He may mean that it's an airbag retaining frame issue, which is possible. Order an ignition switch (electrical portion only, runs about $20) and swap it out. They fail easily and often and will cause all sorts of strange electrical problems, so may as well get it done. If it doesn't fix the issue, you'll have your old switch as a spare.

You can remove the airbag to check the frames bushings. The rubber decays and causes intermittent horn issues, though the problem almost always causes the horn to honk on its own, not the other way around.

The clock spring is behind the steering wheel and connects the horn and tip controls to the car. If it fails, your buttons and horn won't work.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with mine a few weeks ago. In my case it was the Bushings that were shot. This is a fairly common problem with the 986.

Here's a video on how to fix it,

https://youtu.be/2WqhZaaXL2I