Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #1

Im new,Need Help? Buying 2004 Boxter S

Need help on buying 2004 Boxter S.

I just sold my Z06 Vette looking to get a Porsche Boxter S. I owned a 2000 Boxter & loved the car. I drove a 911 & I like the boxter S better, not sure why just do. Power is ok but getting older & you can only drive so fast. My z had 415HP to the wheels & 386Torq, if needing power I would buy a Twin turbo 911 or new Z06.

I put a deposit on a 2004 6spd Boxter S, I have some concerns.

Car INFO:
never wrecked
Serviced at dealer still has march 2008 war:

$51,500
Car is loaded Sticker is $70,215
Options:
Graph full leather $2,030
Conveniemce + Package $5,255
bosesound windstop
Xenon
cd shelf
wheel colored caps
cruise
PSM
Delet Model Des
on board computer
Heated seats $715
remote cd $715
Exclusive Options: $9,345
Aluminum look interior
painted center con, ext color
18 sport classic wheels
Flaired rockers
Aulm/sport shifter/Brake handel

Milage is 14,122

Buying from Porsche Dealer: My price $41,800. no dents very clean car.

Questions?

Should I be worried about RMS or engine failures? I understand this is a used car

How is re-sale

This will be a garage toy, not the same power as Z06 but better quality.

Should I buy 2005?

Will the new body/ 05 & up kill value?

Fam & Neph says its a Chic car & laughed.

How do I find a post of all the options for the 2004 car?

I want to make sure I get a great deal & a clean car.

Hey great site, thanks for any help, need to buy next week.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-04-2005 at 10:43 AM.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
bmussatti

Sounds like a great car & price. Post some pictures when you get it.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #3

How is re-sale - go to one of the used car value web sites and do some comparisons. Seems to me like 1st yr depreciation was somewhere around 17-19%, second yr 15-17%, then tapers off to 13% a yr or so. Resale mkt probably poor this time of yr, better in the spring. Roadster, you know. Porsche depreciation generally lower than most makes, I think.

This will be a garage toy, not the same power as Z06 but better quality.
Amen.

Should I buy 2005?
General Porsche recommendation is buy the latest, best one you can afford.

Will the new body 05 & up kill value?
Doubt it. It takes a Porsche expert to tell the difference between a '97 and an '06.

Family says its a Chic car
Nobody here will admit that, but do you watch the TV series "Two and a Half Men"?
One of the characters gets his Boxster stolen, and the missing car appears on a low speed chase on a freeway, observed by a TV station chopper. The helicopter reporter refers to the driver as "she", and when asked how he knew it was a woman says, "Well, it's a Boxster, so I just assumed ..."

I want to make sure I get a great deal & a clean car.
Don't we all.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #4

How do you post pictures & added ?

Should I be worried about RMS or engine failures? I understand this is a used car

& I have pictures, not sure how to post.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-04-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #5

The RMS is an issue on these cars and there is no way to rule it out. During warranty not an issue as it is covered.

Engine failures do happen, less so on the later cars. Again, warranty, not an issue.

If you are really worried, insist the dealer CPO the car and pay them a bit more for it.

That way you are covered for 6/70K.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #6

I have 2004 S and bought it used. Since the car has warranty, I think you don't have to worry a thing really. RMS is covered under the warranty.

Chic digs our boxster and it's one of the reason that we should have one
Old 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #7

Bought the car waiting to be shipped

Yea :dance:
Old 12-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #8

Congrats! Please post pictures whenever you can!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 AM   #9

Fasttoys, we'll have to meet somewhere between Houston and Dallas for a little high speed and twisty driving one Saturday or Sunday.

In my mind, Texas was never that great of a place to live... until I got my Boxster and realized that I can drop the top most any time all year long, albeit hot as hades some months, and hilly roads and long stretches where one can drive 120+ are everywhere!

You will love your boxster living in Dallas. Do post pics!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #10

There are plenty of steeply discounted 2005s out there and I would recommend a 987 base over the car you're looking at. If you take a look at the options you list, the car isn't quite as loaded as it would appear vs. a new 987 base that's not going to be more than a couple grand more, if that.

5speed vs. 6 speed - a matter of preference imho, you'll be well above the speed limit in third.

Serviced at dealer still has march 2008 warr - 987 has x number of months and 15k more.

PSM, OBC and cruise control - all standard on the 987

Delete Model Des - depends on your preference, may be a negative and obviously you can do this on your own.

18 sport classic wheels - IMHO these are a pretty uninspired rim design, not something I'd be jazzed about paying extra for.

Flaired rockers - OK, whatever...

Conveniemce + Package $5,255
bosesound windstop
Xenon
cd shelf
wheel colored caps
Heated seats $715

Preferred Package Plus in a 987 $3,690
Colored Wheel Caps
Self dim mirrors & rain sensor
Bose Sound system
Heated Seats
Floor mats
xenon

remote cd $715 player - I don't know about you, but in this day and age a CD changer is about as useful to me as an 8-track player.

Aluminum look interior
painted center con, ext color
Aulm/sport shifter/Brake handel

The 987 base interior is "aluminum look" as standard, although you can purchase extras to make it even more "aluminumish" if that's your thing. If your 2004 had the "wood look" or "carbon fibre" look, it would be more of an advantage.

Graph full leather $2,030 - Buying full leather interior on a convertible makes about as much sense to me as full leather patio furniture. But then again, what do I know, I've only owned four convertibles.

Should I be worried about RMS or engine failures? I understand this is a used car.

Principal cause of RMS has been addressed somewhat in the 987, but is an inherent flaw of the engine design. As far as engine failures, I'd think you're pretty safe with either car and I suspect there is some driver responsibility involved although victims swear otherwise.

Will the new body/ 05 & up kill value? No longer a question of will, it's a "has". Maybe you should ask someone whose tried to sell or trade in a 986 recently, but the 40 percent depreciation in your case should illustrate the point.

The 987 is a better engineered and better driving car...period. (flame away) If you drive both you'll clearly see this for yourself.

As far as looks go, the 986 has been around since 1997. How many 1997 car designs still look fresh to you? Consider the two side by side...and you'll have no problem telling them apart.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 AM   #11

Congrats, I'v told everyone I know that an 04 Boxster S is a great car.
All of the gremlins have been worked out, very very few flawes still left in the final year of one of the most successful sportscars ever produced.
You have purchased a highly refined and engineered car and a full warranty to boot.

I might suggest Sikdeskirting and the 911 GT3 front bumper. If you like that more aggresive look, its a big change for not allot of money relative the entire cost of the car.

btw, I purchased my 2000 S with 10,000 miles 1 year ago for 30K. I added about $8,000 in options (and I LOVE everyone of them except for Zenon"litronics" not that big of an improvement for $1100). I only intended to keep this car for a couple of years but for track and autocross pleasure, I may end up keeping it for a very very long time. If I have the garage space I'll be looking at a 996 CarreraS (winter car!) next year to join the BoxsterS or a CaymanS a further few years down the line.

here's the prototype from nearly 13 years ago. Still looks better than almost all the other roadsters on the market today.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-07-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #12

SD987, he already bought the car.

But I gotta say your reply, albeit a day late, was an excellent argument to buy an 05 987!!!

Anyone else considering an 03 or an 04 should certainly read what you wrote and give it great consideration.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #13

A Manhattan dealer is offering five nicely equipped '05 987 base models -- new, and in good color combos -- for $39,995 each, and that's without any negotiating. He's been advertising them for three weeks without a single taker!
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #14

Well some people may say you are getting a "chic car", but I can assure you that some people said your Z06 was compensating for a small you know what. Maybe they didnt say it aloud, but everyone says that about vettes.

Usually if someone says my boxster is cute I say "well you know, I didn't have anything to compensate for...by the way that's a big Tahoe ..."

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
A Manhattan dealer is offering five nicely equipped '05 987 base models -- new, and in good color combos -- for $39,995 each, and that's without any negotiating. He's been advertising them for three weeks without a single taker!
Oh I wish I had $39,995 lying around. That's a good deal indeed.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #16

yeah and the base 987 makes almost as much power as the 986S. Not sure about the torque though. This may sound crazy but I wouldn't trade my 986s even if it meant shelling out another $10K. Now a 280HP 987S (with a RUF front end revamping) is another story...Can you put 5 spoke Carreras on a 987?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #17

Thanks for the info

The best deal I could get on a 2005 S was 47k. Great car, I liked it much better than the standard 04. The car I am buying looks very nice & is a very good looking car. I will post pictures so you can judge yourself. I only wanted to spend 40K & I wanted an S. I would have to wait till next Dec to get an 05 S at 40k.
Yes I understand the new Boxter is close in HP, but not as fast on the track. I was told the new body gained some extra pounds, not sure if its dif than 04. I had a 2000 boxter & it was a great car.

The car I bought had every option I wanted, so that made it a good deal for me. I did not want to add stuff to the car because you never get the money back. The car will be shipped on Friday in bad weather getting Monday if all good.

Iam adding a lift in my garage so I can buy another toy. I drove home in a 2005 911 S & I am thinking about buying that car. My neighbor can get lifts at a good price.

I love German cars. My first was a BMW,I have owned 8 in the last 5 years.
My neighbor has 14 cars & 5 lifts in his garage, all american cars. He just bought a Viper & we are picking it up on Monday. I drove a GTS Viper last week WHAT A POS. My neighbor was the reason I bought the Z06. I bought a vette when I was younger & said never again, well never say never. It was a good car, very fast, sold it 34 days ago.

I raced GSXR 1000 motorcycles many years ago & its hard to beat that kind of power. 0 to 60 2.4 0 to 100 5.4
I am geeting older so Iam hoping the Boxter S will meet my needs.

If you live in Texas, can you say Austin Trip. Let me know always looking for some fun roads. Any good car clubs?

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-09-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #18

Car arrived by covered truck 12/17

Great looking car, very happy with purchase. Question it has full leather. What is the best way to clean leather without damage?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #19
bmussatti

I have read recently that a very good leather care product is Color Plus Leather Care Soffener (spelled correctly!). They have a web-site www.colorplus.com.

Is your leather dirty...or just needs to be conditioned??
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #20

"Maybe they didnt say it aloud, but everyone says that about vettes."

Well, not everyone is saying that. I am driving a c5 vette these days, and of course, a 911 Turbo.

Both are fine cars.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote