Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Newb

Cross threaded caliper bolt

So my indy called today with a problem he encountered while installling my front RoW suspension. It appears that whoever installed the rotors and pads also severely cross threaded one of the caliper bolts and it was frozen in the large aluminum section that the strut needs to mount to. He ordered a new one for nearly $900. Yikes I am now getting initiated to the Porsche $$$$. This sucks when you spend that kind of money for zero performance gain.

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

You might be able to get it fixed by using heli coil or time sert. Drill it and re-tap the knuckle with heli coil. I repaired a ford v8 head with stripped spark plugs with heli coil and repair lasted more than 100k miles.
Some people have great success with time sert when those cadillac northstar engine decides to strip their head bolts from the block.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

Could always weld it up and then drill/tap as well. You'd have to go slow to avoid dumping a ton of heat into but it would def give you a strong and permanent fix.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

I suggest getting a salvaged wheel carrier. If he cant pull out the bolt. I am undergoing the same process right now in my garage. I got the wheel carrier of a 98 boxster and its good. What side had the problem because if its the passenger side I know that the place I got mine may still have that side. Here is a pic of the it. I paid $90 with shipping.
Ace auto wreckers in Long Island

Last edited by Bmod986; 04-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Heli or weld / tap or salvage will work fine. Don't dump that kind of cash into new parts unless insurance is fixing your car.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Heli or weld / tap or salvage will work fine. Don't dump that kind of cash into new parts unless insurance is fixing your car.
I wish I could excersize options, but my car is taking up a bay at the indy shop and I am out of the country on business. In the future I will make sure I am around when this type of service is being done. Then I could do the grunt work of hunting down a good used part......... Live and learn!

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote