Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #1

Boxster + Ice= :(

There was little snow on the ground yesterday, but for the most part the roads were all dry. I was drive around for a while and i didn't run in to any slick spots. As i was pulling into a friends neighborhood i noticed the road looked very slick. Was was going around 5 MPH thought the neighborhood and i was going around a small curve in the road and by back end slid out and i went back words into a pole going 5 MPH or less. The dent in the rear bumper is very hard to see. I can't make up my mind if i want to spend the money to get a new one. Anyone know what one would cost to have painted and installed?

Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have a couple of minor dents in my car that you can only see at certain angles,certain lighting etc. I make my decision on whether or not to redo a part based on how much attention it draws. Example I have a scratch on my car that stand out behind my driver side door. No one ever says anything unless they are up close. No one says "DAMN look at that,I would not even drive it." it is more like "Ouch,howd that happen?". Dont pay too much attention to dings,scratches, or dents unless they are visible at every angle. Those dents that can only be seen at a certain angle may bother you at first,but in time you will learn to love them.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
I was looking at a new rear bumper, they cost about $350 on the 986online.com site unpainted (you might be able to find one cheaper on ebay). I got a quote from a good custom paint shop in Jacksonville FL, for $225 to paint and install it. Just remember that with a slightly older car, the paint has probably faded a bit, so get it matched as opposed to using the paint code. On my 97 I've also noticed that the paint fades at a different rate on the platic pieces (fuel door, mirrors) vs. the sheet metal, vs. whatever material the bumpers are.
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
bmussatti

Hey WoBoxster...good thing you were only going 5 MPH! Maybe you should fix this in the Spring (if you are going to fix it). This way most of the worst weather conditions will have passed.

I bet you were screaming wooooo boxster yesterday!

Sorry about your bumper.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #5

Ya i stil can't make up my mind about the bumper. I really wanted to put new rims on in the spring. Some Carrera 5 spoke or the GT3 wheels. But if i go for the new bump i will have to wait a while for the rims.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I guess that you dont have PSM.. well maybe that wouldnt have helped that much with ice anyway.

If you only have a small cosmetic type dent in the rear cover, you would probably be able to have it repaired vs. replaced. A quality repair center could remove the current cover, repair and refinish the cover for about $450-550. I wouldnt automaticaly assume you need a cover until you have an estimate done.

Best of luck,
Joe
01S
Triple Black

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote