986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Frunk light question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/44143-frunk-light-question.html)

Joe B 04-09-2013 07:16 PM

Frunk light question

Weird question: my frunk light doesn't come on unless I unlatch the trunk. Is this normal? Nothing I could find about trunk/frunk lights in the owner's manual. Does the frunk have a switch for the light?

particlewave 04-09-2013 07:36 PM

Frunk light should come on when frunk is opened. Not sure where the switch is, though. My guess would be in the latch mechanism somewhere.

leknus 04-10-2013 01:39 AM

That light goes on when the lid is opened. Off when closed. If left open, it goes off after a delay. I put a simple toggle switch in my wiring, toggle next to the light. I rarely want or need that light.

Coffinhunter 04-10-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 336101)
Weird question: my frunk light doesn't come on unless I unlatch the trunk. Is this normal? Nothing I could find about trunk/frunk lights in the owner's manual. Does the frunk have a switch for the light?

Do you really want the light on when the frunk is closed? What are you keeping in there that is afraid of the dark?:D

It is the same in my car anyway

tonycarreon 04-10-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 336101)
Weird question: my frunk light doesn't come on unless I unlatch the trunk. Is this normal?

the only weird part is what led you to conclude this in the first place.

"ok jr, go lay down in the front trunk while i latch it..."
*click*
"IS IT OFF?"

CoBeerToad 04-10-2013 05:24 AM

Reminds me of the week I spent trying to figure out if the light goes off in the refrigerator when I close the door. You have to be real fast!

Joe B 04-10-2013 05:25 AM

Come on, guys. Before you try to make me sound foolish, try reading my post a bit more carefully :rolleyes:. I don't know how to make this more clear :confused:. When I open the frunk, the light does not come on. If I then unlatch (or open) the trunk, then the frunk light comes on. Tonycarreon, no conclusion here, simple observation. And Coffinhunter, I didn't say anything about what the light does when the frunk is closed. Now then, can anyone actually be of some help? Particlewave, thank you. Now if I can just figure out where the frunk light switch is...

Joe B 04-10-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoBeerToad (Post 336196)
Reminds me of the week I spent trying to figure out if the light goes off in the refrigerator when I close the door. You have to be real fast!

Please read my post again; this has nothing to do with when the frunk is closed.

particlewave 04-10-2013 05:33 AM

Ha!!! :D
Funny...

thom4782 04-10-2013 06:11 AM

Let me see if I understand your question correctly.

There are two conditions. Condition 1 - if you only unlatch the frunk, the frunk light stays off. Condition 2 - if you unlatch BOTH the frunk and the trunk, BOTH the frunk and the trunk lights come on.

Did I state the situation correctly?

thom4782 04-10-2013 06:21 AM

Maybe this thread from the Pelican forum will help....

Front Trunk Light Problem - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

SeanZ4 04-10-2013 06:43 AM

Probably doesn't help... but I use a batt. tender so my frunk is slightly open all the time. I unplugged the frunk light and layed it aside because I thought it was on all the time. I discovered that the trunk and frunk lights are connected. I worried about the trunk light being on all the time, but later learned that it goes off after a period of time. Still doesn't help your situation.... but you're right they are connected somehow.

sb01box 04-10-2013 07:04 AM

My `01 does the same. Along with the lid strut loosing gas. One evening, the lid slammed down.. And the light came on. The stuck switch is most likely the same one for the alarm. Suspect the switch to be by the latch.
Per parts catalog, it`s 996 613 206 00 called microswitch

CoBeerToad 04-10-2013 08:11 AM

Sorry. Was just trying to be funny.

Maybe this helps?

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse734b66f.png

OK. It's kind of small. Try the link to the catalog. Illustration 803-00

Porsche Original Parts Catalogue - Parts and Diagnostic Information - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

tonycarreon 04-10-2013 12:44 PM

yes, i did not read carefully enough. now i understand your question. this is not normal. my '01 works as expected.

open frunk only - frunk light illuminates
open trunk only - trunk light illuminates
open both - both lights illuminate
open neither - no lights illuminate (i can only assume)

so do the interior lights come on when you open the frunk? have you done this with both the key fob and using the latch release in the cabin? same behavior?

Joe B 04-10-2013 01:21 PM

It fixed itself!

Thom4782, you got it right, and thanks for the link. Update: I sprayed silicone spray on the frunk latch mechanism and now the light works fine! CoBeerToad, thanks, I forgot I have the parts manual online.

Beelzy 04-11-2013 09:19 AM

Lol! I understand what the OP meant as I have the same issue. It is quite odd, and I hope
I have the same luck as him fixing the problem.

Cheers!