986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil change pricing question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/44119-oil-change-pricing-question.html)

nyan 04-08-2013 04:54 PM

Oil change pricing question

So spring has sprung and its time to get my baby from the mother in laws garage and get the oil changed. Not something I wish to tackle this time around so I am looking for opinions on the cost of having it done from a non dealer. I called 2 local places but not sure which one to use.

Place1: says $80-$90, European auto repair, website is generic as to what cars they work on. Double checked it was synthetic, was friendly and said they do work on boxters and provided the quote.

Place2: says $147, knew it was synthetic, and looked up parts/prices to come up with quote, friendly as well.

I didn’t call the dealer assuming it was only going to be more. I am hoping to establish a place where I can go to get the car worked on but need some help on if the pricing is in-line as there is a big enough difference. Appreciate any help

Timco 04-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyan (Post 335854)
So spring has sprung and its time to get my baby from the mother in laws garage and get the oil changed. Not something I wish to tackle this time around so I am looking for opinions on the cost of having it done from a non dealer. I called 2 local places but not sure which one to use.

Place1: says $80-$90, European auto repair, website is generic as to what cars they work on. Double checked it was synthetic, was friendly and said they do work on boxters and provided the quote.

Place2: says $147, knew it was synthetic, and looked up parts/prices to come up with quote, friendly as well.

I didn’t call the dealer assuming it was only going to be more. I am hoping to establish a place where I can go to get the car worked on but need some help on if the pricing is in-line as there is a big enough difference. Appreciate any help

Oil & filter.

Synthetic.

You want your old filter, in a baggie or plastic bag.

Not too much to it. Don't overfill.

fullthrottle52 04-08-2013 05:19 PM

80 to 90 is a very good price. I pay about 115 from my Indy, who does all my work. Make sure what brand of oil he will use. If he has worked on Porsches before an oil change should be a no brainier. Don't trust them as to overfill or under fill, check your oil level when you get home.

ohhh my 04-08-2013 11:38 PM

When I do it myself, I use mobil1 and oil is 8.99 a quart x 8.5 quarts. Filter is about $20.

Just check to make sure what kind of oil they use and if it's an OEM filter.

Skrapmot 04-08-2013 11:56 PM

How do you guys get it so cheap? The parts alone is close to $100, if you use Mobil 1. Last time I had an Indy do the oil change it ran me about $200. Now that i use redline it would probably be closer $230.
80 bucks is about what it cost to change the oil in my Prius.

Kenny Boxster 04-09-2013 12:20 AM

Oil changes run $60 for me. Two 5-gallon jugs of synthetic Mobil 1 @ $24 + $11 Hengst filter + .25 cent Crush washer. Am left with about a quart and a half too from the unused oil in jug. Can anyone beat that?

jotoole 04-09-2013 12:37 AM

Been going to the local Valvoline shop for years.
They charge $41.52 for the service.
BUT- I bring my own oil (Redline) and filter (and plastic bag for old filter.)
So, we're talking about $125.00.

nyan 04-09-2013 02:12 AM

Thanks all for the replies. You touched on what was bothering me that at 8-9 quarts of synthetic plus a filter and labor, 80-90 seems like he would barely make money but maybe we are used to paying such inflated prices. Guess I need to do a bit more checking to ensure what oil he uses and filter and that this isn’t his first one :)

Silly question, a few posted to bringing a plastic baggie for filter, being new at this ( car bought last season), is there something I am missing?

Thanks

JFP in PA 04-09-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyan (Post 335854)

Next time, change your oil before you put the car away.

mountainman 04-09-2013 03:56 AM

I have 3 porsches and drive each about 10K a year, so imagine my outlay if I went to the dealer for oil changes. I also change mine mor often than required ( I have had an IMSB failure in the past and try to do anything that may head of another one ). I do my own oil changes which just take a few minutes plus a liberal time to drain. I buy good german filters in quantity for about $9 each and buy mobile ! synthetic at advance auto or whereever when it is on sale for less than $6 a quart, so my oil changes actually run less than $60

kjc2050 04-09-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyan (Post 335923)
Silly question, a few posted to bringing a plastic baggie for filter, being new at this ( car bought last season), is there something I am missing?

They want to check the old filter element for metal fragments (IMS bearing, etc.).

kk2002s 04-09-2013 07:17 AM

Just did my spring change
$5.00/qrt Walmart Mobil 1
$11 filter

$61.00 and some change but as this was first for this car, some tools, bigger Drain pan

I suspect Place 1 is based on 5 qts so Place 2 @ $147 seems reasonable.
Checking Filter is good opportunity to see what's circulating in there

nyan 04-09-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 335924)
Next time, change your oil before you put the car away.

there seemed to be some debate as to doing it before or after but I think learning to do it myself is the best way and then I can change it at the end of this season each year.

woodsman 04-09-2013 10:53 AM

JFP doesn t condensation build all winter inside the engine

Skrapmot 04-09-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 335921)
Been going to the local Valvoline shop for years.
They charge $41.52 for the service.
BUT- I bring my own oil (Redline) and filter (and plastic bag for old filter.)
So, we're talking about $125.00.

Ok , fess up, where are you getting Redline that cheap? I pay at 10-11 buck a quart plus shipping. That runs me at least $120 just for the oil. I've never seen it for sale at any auto parts store.

Springman26 04-09-2013 11:00 PM

I had mine changed yesterday at my local shop it was $124 with tax. I had priced the local Porsche dealer and they said at least $250.

jotoole 04-10-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 336111)
Ok , fess up, where are you getting Redline that cheap? I pay at 10-11 buck a quart plus shipping. That runs me at least $120 just for the oil. I've never seen it for sale at any auto parts store.

Oops! My bad.
Hindsight through rose colored glasses.
Redline 5W50 @ Amazon runs $11.99 per qt if you buy it by the gallon. Free shipping if you are a "Prime" member, which I am.

Skrapmot 04-10-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 336157)
Oops! My bad.
Hindsight through rose colored glasses.
Redline 5W50 @ Amazon runs $11.99 per qt if you buy it by the gallon. Free shipping if you are a "Prime" member, which I am.

No worries, I was hoping someone had a bulk source or something. Darn.