Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #1
Hman

Question Tiptronic question

I need to buy an automatic and like the tiptronic mode. I noticed that on the new Boxster the shift controls are only on the steering wheel and not on the gearshift. Has anyone had a problem with aggressive driving because the steering wheel is turned and there is no gearshift control?

Old 07-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #2

Hi, I think I understand the question, and if so, I believe you'd have to be doing some really aggressive driving if you're shifting while the wheel is turned more than ~90 degrees (the point where you'd have to reposition your hands on the wheel?).

Sounds like you might possibly be violating the laws of physics, if not just your local traffic laws .

As I read the material on this, it appears the new Tip has, among its repertoire of shift programs, an automatic "sport" shifting mode that can be influenced by application of the accelerator, which might be an option for the times when active steering makes you move your hands... but you still want some control over the shifting.

If you go for the Tip, let us know about your experience with it!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:23 AM   #3

Question Why?

Why do you NEED a tip? Why not go with the manual transmission? Sports cars were not meant to have automatic transmissions. Blasphemy! Especially on a Boxster, I just can't understand why people opt for the tip.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #4

I agree. I was also inforrmed by some very reputable sources that the Boxster Tiptronic Transmission will burn-up after about 395HP while the standard transmission can handle up to about 475HP.
One more reason to opt for the manual transmission if you ever plan to do some major modifications to the car.

jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote