Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

997 shifter upgrade to 986 base 5 speed

Just installed the standard 997 shift console in my 986 5-speed. Took my time and was done in about an hour. I set the shift cables using the supplied alignment tool in place. After getting everything together I noticed that the shift knob is offset to the right by about 1/2" relative to the original which is definitely noticeable. It is perfectly straight up in neutral, just offset some. No issues with performance, all gears are accessible with absolutely no interference and it really feels much better than the original. I will drive it for a while and possibly adjust it to a bit to the left if the geometry allows at some point in the future. Thought I would record this on the board for anyone thinking of doing this swap.

teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

I have one that I haven't installed yet. How could it be straight at neutral but still to the left? I think the actual shift rod has a bend at the top, but not sure in what direction.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 04-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Please post a pic with the shift boot removed.

As far as the cables go, I've never understood why everyone makes such a big deal about marking the position of the old shifter... Just install the new one, put the stick where you want neutral to be and install the cables. I've done 2 without issue.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Teleski, would you have the part number? I assume it is an OEM shifter? I have seen several posts regarding the installation of a 997 shifter and was not sure if this is the same as a "short shifter" or just a "shorter" shift.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Does this 997 shifter work for both 5 and 6 speed transmissions. I did not see different part numbers on Suncoast website

Thanks

Len
LenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

The 997 shifter should work with both.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Thanks, I see that Suncoast has a GT3 version with some of the plastic replace with Al, has anyone tried it and does it feel/shift the same just more robust
LenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

The part number is 997-424-010-00.

I adjusted the cables this evening and now have it back centered exactly like it was with the original shifter. I had to move the left cable (blue collar) in by 'two' threads which moved the neutral point to the left just enough to properly center it. I either installed the cable just a bit back originally or the supplied centering tool is off a bit.

I was originally thinking that this part is not quite a drop in replacement, but I now believe that it is. I really look forward to driving it this week and hope to not have to pull apart the center console again. The only hard part is getting the console up and out as the seats and parking brake really get in the way.

Compared to the 986 shifter, this is noticeably shorter and crisper, as many have noted. It is not a true short shifter however which is why I decided to go this route instead of B&M for the same money.

Last edited by teleski; 04-07-2013 at 10:13 PM.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote