Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Yellow986S

Coolant Reservoir Tank Advice

Im replacing the coolant tank reservoir.
I already removed the old reservoir and it was a pain in the ass. Finally got it though.

Now im trying to put the new one in and was wondering if anyone has advice on how to attach the hoses? maybe what order i should do them?

I managed to get 2 on but then wasnt able to attach the other ones so i removed them. Gonna start from scratch tmrw morning and see what happens.
Let me know if you have any tips.

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pedro's Garage

Good write up...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Major patience and perseverance required. I pulled the hoses forward into the trunk and attached them before bolting the manifold and tank in place. Be prepared to sacrifice a little blood.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Major patience and perseverance required. I pulled the hoses forward into the trunk and attached them before bolting the manifold and tank in place. Be prepared to sacrifice a little blood.
^^^Truth is spoken here!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Got together tools, supplies, intructions, then wussed out on doing it myself because of weather and lack of sheltered work space. Watching 2 mechanics with experience and a lift in a protected workspace painfully do in 5 hrs what would have cost me more pain, cursing, and time = money well spent. Them finding a deteriorating/leaky oil filler tube and having a new replacement on hand to avoid further lost days of driving my car, or worse, having to go back in- priceless. Best wishes and respect for tackling this PITA on your own. Wiring grommet seems key for access, as does cable clamp tool, but I just watched.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Yellow986S

Finished installing the new reservoir today with the help of a friend and it took us a good 3 hours and lots of blood and cussing.
I found the easiest way was to remove all the hoses behind the firewall and then attach them to the reservoir and with all them attached slide it back in and then all you have to do is attach those hoses to there corresponding hose in the engine bay. Much easier to do than struggling with pulling them through into the trunk. I tried pulling it in the trunk first for a good hour with no results so then we did that and finished it much faster and easier.
Best of Luck to anyone else who is going to attempt this. *Detach the hoses in the engine bay its easier.

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote