Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Garage
How to get horn frame off?

Horns were not working, checked fuse, relay, replaced horns. Now horns go off continuously. Tried folded piece of cardboard slipped under top of steering wheel cover didn't work. So I figure the bushings in the frame are shot. I have a 99 boxster base used a T27 torx wrench to get screws loose. worked on one wont work on the other one. I got a feeling the head is stripped. If I try to tighten the screw the wrench seems to get a good bite on it but to loosen nada. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get that other screw out? Should I try to drill it out? Should I just take it to the garage and let them deal with it?

mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Try an Allen wrench. I had the same problem and found an Allen that would bite...can't remember which size, though.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

Can't help you with getting the screws off but once they are out, the fix is super simple and you don't have to pay a cent. The rubber bushing prevents the metal to metal contact that will set the horn off. Over time, this bushing can't hold up so you get contact. Just replace the bushing with anything you can find laying around! Get some o-rings.... You may have to experiment

But it's so easy

westladog is offline   Reply With Quote