986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Smog Test Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43961-smog-test-question.html)

jim_hoyland 04-02-2013 07:25 AM

Smog Test Question

I'm due for a smog test to renew the reg on my '98 base boster with 57 K miles.
Two years ago I almost failed on the HC: The max allowed is 58 ppm and I had 57 ppm. The CO and NO passed easily.

Is there something wrong with a component or is this normal ?

BYprodriver 04-02-2013 07:41 AM

Yes to both your questions. There is a good chance your fuel injectors are partially clogged & not spraying fuel like new. This doesn't atomize the fuel properly so some of the fuel doesn't burn throughly, and this is the source of the HC or hydrocarbons. New sparkplugs will help this. Easyest way to improve this is to pour a bottle of seafoam or Techron fuel system cleaner into 1/2 tank of Chevron Supreme & drive the car hard 3000 to 4000 rpms as much as possible. This should clean the injectors & dislodge some carbon in the engine which can get into the oil, so after that tank of fuel is gone change the oil & filter. Refill with Chevron Supreme & install new sparkplugs. On the day of the smog test drive your car on the freeway 3000+ rpm 30min+, then go directly to the testing shop.

jim_hoyland 04-02-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 334715)
Yes to both your questions. There is a good chance your fuel injectors are partially clogged & not spraying fuel like new. This doesn't atomize the fuel properly so some of the fuel doesn't burn throughly, and this is the source of the HC or hydrocarbons. New sparkplugs will help this. Easyest way to improve this is to pour a bottle of seafoam or Techron fuel system cleaner into 1/2 tank of Chevron Supreme & drive the car hard 3000 to 4000 rpms as much as possible. This should clean the injectors & dislodge some carbon in the engine which can get into the oil, so after that tank of fuel is gone change the oil & filter. Refill with Chevron Supreme & install new sparkplugs. On the day of the smog test drive your car on the freeway 3000+ rpm 30min+, then go directly to the testing shop.

Thanks ! I added a bottle of Techron to a full tank and plan to take several long drives before testing. My regular porsche mechanic said he can hook my fuel system up to a device that recirculates the fuel and cleans the injectors as well; that may be my back up.

I'm going to have a pre-test session before the real test-just in case

jim_hoyland 04-02-2013 04:24 PM

I'm curiou what other 986 owners tested at- for HC. And hat was the max allowable ?