986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Car Wash?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4393-car-wash.html)

PA986S 12-01-2005 06:57 AM

Car Wash??

Well it is getting cold here in PA and hand washing the car when the temp is 30 is getting old fast...can I take my boxster through a touchless car wash??

The owners manual states you should not take the car through a car wash because of the top...does this apply to touchless car washes?

Help!

Perfectlap 12-01-2005 07:44 AM

I only wash my car in one of those coin operated 'self serve' places. I bring a large duffel bag with my own car wash soap, brushes--wheel,tire,underbody,softop--, a chenille wash sponge, and the absorber drying towel. I also clay bar the car while washing.
total cost $5.

You can't really lift oxidants off of the paint without touching the car.

bmussatti 12-01-2005 07:45 AM

What about trying a self-wash station and a good set of rubber gloves (blue).

RIDE 12-01-2005 08:42 AM

I am not a big fan of those self wash stations...the water gun pressure is so high. But then again, I haven't been to one in years.

Not sure what's in your area, but there are places that do a very good job hand washing your car. I take my cars there about once every 2-3 months or so....but usually wash my own cars in my driveway.

Then again, I live in Californian where 30 temps are very few and very far between!

RIDE

Perfectlap 12-01-2005 09:58 AM

by the way, if you do take your car where someone else will wash it, bring some CLEAN quality drying towels for them to use on your Boxster. Never let anyone touch your paint with el cheapo scratch/mar-allot KMart terry cloth towels.

oh and no soap/detergent on the softop ever. (attracts dust #1 enemy)
pre-spray your wheels with a good wheel cleaner before running through the
car wash. I use p21s wheel cleaner, especially during winter/rainy season.

RandallNeighbour 12-01-2005 10:00 AM

touchless car washes will shoot water into your passenger compartment (annoying, but not usually harmful) and can really mess up your engine intake by shooting water up into your filter housing (can be very harmful).

Using rubber gloves in cold weather or paying someone to hand wash your car with YOUR car wash soap and microfiber towels is probably the best way to go. The hand wash guys around Houston use dishwashing liquid, which strips off all your wax and sealants fast, and dirty towels or sponges that just scratch the clearcoat.

Providing the soap and towels would probably be a good idea in you area too unless they can prove they use better than average supplies.

... I just re-read this before I posted it. Man, I am indeed an anal Porsche owner.

PA986S 12-01-2005 10:10 AM

Thanks all...I guess I will stick to the cold hand wahing. I have to get an adapter for my utility sink so I can hook up a hose and at least have warm water!

Mark Miller 12-01-2005 09:20 PM

That reminded me of my brother;
he would run a garden hose from the water heater and out the window so he could wash his car outside in the freezing cold.
He would have the only clean car on the streets.

blinkwatt 12-01-2005 10:40 PM

I think we are all anal Boxster owners. I have only meet one other Boxster owner who used forums/boards for information. But hey we would not be here if we did not enjoy it.