986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How many have NOT changed IMS bearing on their 1997-2000 Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43838-how-many-have-not-changed-ims-bearing-their-1997-2000-boxster.html)

Meat Head 03-27-2013 02:42 AM

How many have NOT changed IMS bearing on their 1997-2000 Boxster?

Like every other Porsche owner I'm concerned about IMS failure. I by no means am a expert on this topic but from the information that I have gathered the 1997-2000 Boxster 2.5 engine has a double row bearing system. Though this system is flawed, they seem to be much less likely to fail. I'm asking all early Boxster owners on this forum to give their experiences/opinions on the subject.

Most importantly I would like to know if you have or have not changed out your IMS bearing?

How many miles on car before you replaced bearings?

If you have not changed your IMS bearing how many miles do you have on your Boxster now?

Please state the..........Year of Boxster,.............Motor size,...........Number of miles,.............Any other info you feel is pertinent.

kjc2050 03-27-2013 03:38 AM

Dude: Seriously. What do you hope to accomplish with this post? It looks like you got a great deal. You've already gotten a lot of good advice. Polling the handful of owners who'll respond to this additional post will change nothing. Your options:
  • Drive the car, enjoy it, save your money, and do the IMSB in another year or so.
  • If you can't sleep at night because you're worrying about the IMSB, sell the car.

Finally, look at this: Porsche Boxster Reliability

keysguy 03-27-2013 03:41 AM

I have just over 50K miles on my 2000 Boxster and have not changed it. When I have the clutch done I will have it done. I DO NOT want to start a war on this board and everyone has their own opinions. From my research the rate of IMS fails is about 5%. (again this is my personal research and talking to MANY others, including experts not associated with this board or companies that sell IMS kits.) Some on this board believe that every car is a time bomb waiting to go off. This is simply not the case. I've read your other posts and the fear that you have, we've all been there wondering if we made a bad choice in cars. My personal advise is run your car as often as you can, try and avoid idling for long periods of time, change the oil often and enjoy the car.

Keysguy

Meat Head 03-27-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjc2050 (Post 333688)
Dude: Seriously. What do you hope to accomplish with this post? It looks like you got a great deal. You've already gotten a lot of good advice. Polling the handful of owners who'll respond to this additional post will change nothing. Your options:
  • Drive the car, enjoy it, save your money, and do the IMSB in another year or so.
  • If you can't sleep at night because you're worrying about the IMSB, sell the car.

Finally, look at this: Porsche Boxster Reliability

What is your problem!! Are my threads taking up to much space on your computer lol. I'm just trying to gain every bit of info I can. That is what these forums are for. There are all types of people talking about failures of the IMS bearings, I just want to hear a few that are not having problems. Negative always gets more attention on the internet. I'm sorry if you don't like my threads, my suggestion........don't read or post in them.

southernstar 03-27-2013 04:46 AM

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 (therefore unsure if double or single row bearing) with about 56,000 miles (92 Km) and the original bearing. I will change it, but not until the clutch needs replacing. Initially I was worried after reading of the various IMS bearing failures, but have decided to enjoy the car, change the oil every 4000 miles, check the filter for flilings and debris (next one is due in the next couple of weeks). Oh, and I have purchased a magnetic drain plug.

Brad

Sunsport 03-27-2013 05:08 AM

2000 Boxster S 3.2 6spd
178,000kms
Original IMS bearing (as far as I know)

ProjectM96 03-27-2013 05:15 AM

2000 2.7L with 94,400 miles. Original IMS. I do my own oil changes and I see no evidence of IMS failure in oil filter or magnetic oil drain plug. So I am confident it will never happen.

paintboy 03-27-2013 05:32 AM

1998 2.5 with 78K. 100% original. Not worried, but I do keep a credit card with a $15,000 limit ready....

Mark_T 03-27-2013 05:44 AM

99 Boxster, 124000km, magnetic drain plug, zero particles in oil filter. Not worried about the IMS. Might change it when I do the clutch but not certainly not before.

I already changed out a perfectly good water pump because I listened to the fear-mongering. Keep in mind that it is in the best interests of the companies that do IMS remediation work to generate as much hysteria over this issue as possible in order to feather their own nests, and there is no better place to do it than on forums like this. Just sayin'.

steved0x 03-27-2013 05:53 AM

I bought a 2000 Boxster S with 103,000 miles on it. It had the double row bearing. Before I took delivery I had the shop that did the PPI install the LN Ceramic bearing for $1300. The clutch and related parts had been replaced a few thousand miles earlier but the previous owner elected not to replace the bearing. It was worth it to me to take that particular worry out of the equation.

I got other quotes that were much higher than $1300 and if I wasn't able to do it for $1300 I am not sure what I would have done. Probably bought the IMS Guardian Jr and installed it myself, and then just kept an eye on it.

For me, having installed the LN Ceramic bearing, I just don't even worry or think about it. And that peace of mind was worth it to me.

If you are a long way from needing a clutch, then maybe the IMS Guardian or the IMS Guardian Jr is the way to go. From my understanding if you catch the bearing failing right away you can replace it before it destroys the engine.

Good luck! I can tell you I am having a blast driving the car and loving it!

Steve

cbbepop 03-27-2013 06:09 AM

2001 Boxster S
64XXX miles
3.2L

The only reason I didnt change it yet is quite frankly I don't know if it is single row or double row bearing.
LOL

Prev 2 owners made no mention of IMS issues but the dealer pulled up the cars records according to VIN and said the engine was replaced before in the first year of purchase when the car was still under warranty...hmm

Meat Head 03-27-2013 06:15 AM

This is exactly the info I was looking for! I do think the IMS bearing is a huge issue and needs to be replaced at some point. However, I think it isn't an unreasonable risk to wait until a clutch is needed. It's good to hear from all the Boxster owners that have had good luck with the factory IMS bearings (and how many miles they have on them).

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing from more members.

schnellman 03-27-2013 06:42 AM

A '98 with 45,000 miles and nothing but normal maintenance. Not one dime for any repairs.

twoodinc 03-27-2013 06:58 AM

'99 bought 6 years ago with 70k miles and now have 111k on it and haven't changed IMS. I don't know if it was done prior to buying it or not.

tw

oc-boxster 03-27-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Head (Post 333690)
What is your problem!! Are my threads taking up to much space on your computer lol. I'm just trying to gain every bit of info I can. That is what these forums are for. There are all types of people talking about failures of the IMS bearings, I just want to hear a few that are not having problems. Negative always gets more attention on the internet. I'm sorry if you don't like my threads, my suggestion........don't read or post in them.

the issue is that people who have not changed their bearing, didnt do so because they know there is not an issue. I was going to chance it and leave mine alone, but my 2002 needed a clutch and when it was all apart, my cover was leaking badly and the bearing in the 3rd stage of failure, there was absolutely no symtoms of this and it is not an item you can easily inspect and make a decision on, it seems you are a bit like me and more on the nervous side, so save some money and just change it, i have enjoyed my car alot more since i had it done. ask yourself, if money were no object when it comes to your new car, would you change it? your low mileage puts you in a higher risk of issues with seal leaks.

oc-boxster 03-27-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Head (Post 333690)

the issue is that people who have not changed their bearing, didnt do so because they know there is not an issue. I was going to chance it and leave mine alone, but my 2002 needed a clutch and when it was all apart, my cover was leaking badly and the bearing in the 3rd stage of failure, there was absolutely no symptoms of this and it is not an item you can easily inspect and make a decision on, it seems you are a bit like me and more on the nervous side, so save some money and just change it, i have enjoyed my car alot more since i had it done. ask yourself, if money were no object when it comes to your new car, would you change it? your low mileage puts you in a higher risk of issues with seal leaks.

Soetekouw 03-27-2013 08:27 AM

I am of the opinion of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." You may have an IMS that lasts100K miles, or you may have an new IMS that will break 1 week after you installed it. Who knows. There are probably more folks here who left things alone than those who have been proactive replacing 'good' parts. Don't fret over things that may, could, or might happen. Enjoy and drive your car.

audisnawb 03-27-2013 08:54 AM

Bought a 1999 2.5 Boxster Auto on Monday, 57,000 miles. No bearing has been replaced to my knowledge. I will not do it. The Boxster is a cheap car... Im not going to worry if something goes wrong with it. The number of failures is so small. All you hear about is the people who HAVE had the engine failure due to the bearing. This whole topic is so over rated (knock on wood). I will not replace... if it happens it happens....

:cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Head (Post 333685)
Like every other Porsche owner I'm concerned about IMS failure. I by no means am a expert on this topic but from the information that I have gathered the 1997-2000 Boxster 2.5 engine has a double row bearing system. Though this system is flawed, they seem to be much less likely to fail. I'm asking all early Boxster owners on this forum to give their experiences/opinions on the subject.

Most importantly I would like to know if you have or have not changed out your IMS bearing?

How many miles on car before you replaced bearings?

If you have not changed your IMS bearing how many miles do you have on your Boxster now?

Please state the..........Year of Boxster,.............Motor size,...........Number of miles,.............Any other info you feel is pertinent.

Johnny Danger 03-27-2013 09:15 AM

Time and time again, I've waxed back and forth on this issue. To my way of thinking, if I don't do the IMSB upgrade, the thought of failure will always remain in the back of my mind. However, I'm convinced when I finally commit to doing it, it will be revealed that I had a perfectly good bearing.

2002 S with 20k original miles.

McDuff 03-27-2013 09:23 AM

IMS and tiptronics

Just a dumb question, does the IMS bearing issue also involving tiptronics, or is it just a standard tranny issue? McDuff