Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Is this deal worth pursuing?

Seller is calling it an 01 but I didn't think they started putting cup-holders in until 02?

Silver/Nephrite Green 2.7, 69k with PSM, looks clean, two owner, no service history, seller has owned it several years and hasn't done a thing except oil changes but states it's mechanically perfect, only has one key, and it needs a new plastic rear window.

Basically, is it worth considering at 9k, or should I pay a little more for a car with records and a more resalable interior color?

black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Looks pretty solid. I'm not a fan of the green though... at all...
I had cup holders and mine is a '99
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

The PSM is a plus. Cupholders in dash did begin as standard in 01. KBB.com it and decide if it's worth it.

I bought my 01S with 83K miles, PSM and new Kenwood for $11.5K, but I had to fly to CA and drive 2,200 miles back.

There are so many Boxsters out there, if you pass on this another will come along.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Only if you can live with the green.

Just kidding. Looks better than that god awful mustard yellow.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #5

Wow - I never saw that interior color before. Very retro 50s. I kinda like it on the silver!
Sunsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #6

I wouldn't buy it, i find the color is pretty ugly, and the cracked rear window isn't worth the effort for the price in my opinion. I would wait a little longer, in 1-2 months the mn market will be flooded with boxsters. I bought mine in may 2 years ago, and there were alot of options available.
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #7

I think you should spend the few dollars for a CARFAX report, just to be sure it wasn't in a big accident, etc.

I think the green is very unique and kinda cool.

Does anybody sell replacement mats for that color?

Then get a good mechanic to inspect it . . .
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
I think the green is kind of cool for the interior. Yes as the above posters say do not be in a hurry. Lots will come on the market in the next few months. Lack of receipts worry me. Yes it could have been in an accident. Try several Boxsters. Get the options you need - heated seats? Windblocker etc. Enjoy your search but be patient.
You can save $$$$$ by getting the right one. Meaning one that has been well maintained.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #9

I can't see past the color. Can't imagine it'll be easy to sell for you should it get to that one day with that green interior.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

it's a buyer's market for Boxsters. Wait until you find the car you 100% fall in love with
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

Car is $9K because it's green! And a weird green at that.

Move on. You'll get bored with that color quickly. As a test run, go out and buy a pair of neon green shoes and wear them every day for a month.

Also, not many options on that car. Old school Edison bulbs on the headlights will cost you $2K or more to update to the Litrnoics. The top replacement for glass will ~$1500. You're getting close to new shock time, since I see there's snow in the background this isn't a SoCal car that goes easy on the suspension. For a couple of grand more you can get a 3.2. And don't forget to add $2K for a clutch/IMS/RMS job for a 2001-2005 Boxster. Some roll the dice and skip this others decide they like not to having catastrophic engine failure in the back of their minds anymore. And this car has some very well known weak spots like the waterpump, coolant tank crackin, AOS and other possible unexpected repairs that have not been addressed. A car that has only had oil changes driven year round in a four season address is not a car I would be considering. There is no such thing as a $9K Porsche. My car driven only weekends and largely garage kept required over $10K maintenance and repairs well before it hit 100K miles, its still under 90K as a matter of fact. Meanwhile there are cars from L.A. that have barely had one repair. Know the history of the car.

Also, If you're someone with an eye toward replacing the engine at some point you might want 2002 and newer, if I'm not mistaken, most of the Carrera engines can be swapped in.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

That is definitely a scary color. The color alone would make it a pass for me. Was that really a factory option or a special order?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Is this deal worth pursuing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
it's a buyer's market for Boxsters. Wait until you find the car you 100% fall in love with
Ditto that.

If you love that green then maybe...I would pass on it with the silver paint, maybe if it was painted that light green or white.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #14

Pass. How long can you live with that green?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #15

Yeah initially I wasn't sure what to think of the green, but the more I look at it, the more I want to throw up. Looks like the Incredible Hulk exploded inside.

I found a real pretty '97 Silver on Red, I'm diggin' it now, but I wonder if a red interior would wear on you as well..

black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote