Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 AM   #1

Unhappy coolant finding its way to mix with engine oil?

My 2000 Boxster S's low coolant light flashes yesterday so I checked the coolant level in the back. It wasn't that low below the min level, but I ended up adding almost 2-3 quarts to the coolant tank to the mid level between min and max.

But today the warning light flashes back on and the coolant level is back down to yesterday's level again! The funny thing is my oil level(according to dip stick and electronic checking) both says the oil level is over the top! (the electronic gauge used to be at mid level, now is one bar over the top)

Does anyone have that issue? Perhaps coolant finding its way into mixing with oil? My 2-3 quarts of water ended up in the engine...

And does anyone knows what color is the coolant for 2000 boxster S made in Finland? my color is like brown which i think isn't right...

wonghoiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 AM   #2

This sounds serious.

Take out the dipstick and put some of your oil on your fingers. If there is AF in the oil, the oil will feel and look differently than it does if it is uncontaminated. Usually, there is a greenish hue to AF but that differs by brand. Also, the AF has a slimey feel to it distinct from motor oil.

If you don't feel that you can discern this, drop by the dealer and they can do it in about 5 seconds.

I would caution you to do this immediately. There are only expensive fixes for this and the longer you wait, the more expensive they become.

Like, do it today and don't drive the car much until you rule out AF in the oil.

Hurry and let us know what you find.

Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #3

Pull your trunk liner up in the rear trunk. I'll bet there's coolant under there and you have a cracked coolant reservoir. It's a leak that you can't see in the reservoir because it's on the back side so it leaks under the liner. The liner does not get wet showing the problem because there is styrofoam under it to help with engine heat.

If that's it and you want to DIY the job, let me know. I'll send you some instructions since I just did it in mine a few months ago. 4 hour job and ~$300.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #4

If coolant is indeed in the oil, do not drive the car. The AF will break down the oil very quickly and then you could ruine the engine.lll
If it's just the cracked coolant tank, no big deal and easy to change.

Richard
still don't have car back
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

How many miles do you have?I would definetly not drive it till you have a handle on what's going on.Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.
Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
olly986

on the matter of coolant which is not really the issue here i will tell you what happen to by 2.5 boxster on track day, coming in after about 8 laps i cut the engine, as soon that it stopped a flow of coolant came splashing from below the engine, for this not to happen if you track your car let it idle a couple of minute before switching the engine off, as for coolant it is usually a little opaque/cloudy and taste sweetish, i know this won't help you with your problem and hope it is not too serious and you will be back motoring soon
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
bmussatti

Why are you guys tasting the coolant? Can't that stuff kill ya!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #8

Talking

Yes, drinking AF is lethal, or so I am told. Never had the nerve to test that statement.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
olly986

ok guys! i didn't say to mix it in your cocktail!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 AM   #10

I have to inform you of the worst case scenario: you may have a blown head gasket.

This would explain the coolant mixing with engine oil. Is there white smoke (water vapor) from the exhaust? If so, this confims it. The absence of it doesn't rule out the problem, just that the gasket is still intact where it seals the piston chambers.

Someone had to say it.

DEFINITELY don't drive it. Get it towed to a repair shop.

Hopefully, it's just the coolant reservoir. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #11

Worst case scenario is even worse.

Cracked Block. Toss away, start again.

Hope that is not the case.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #12

Unhappy oil like hot chocolate

okay, I checked the trunk and looked under the carpet and it doesn't seem wet.

When I started the car every few days, there are pretty large amount of white smog for the first 1 or 2 seconds, I thought that's normal with boxer engine right?

I just jack up the car and let the oil drain. I could see that clearly some water came up first....the oil is very muddy...exactly like hot chocolate over fresh oil....will let it drain then add some water to coolant reservoir and see if the water will come out later tonight....

any expert advice on what to do?? And how much it'd cost at the dealership to fix this problem?

wingboat suggests it's a blown head gasket? or brucelee suggest it's a cracked block? I am very gentle on the car and never race on it, 50k miles, mostly city driving.
wonghoiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:04 AM   #13

If I were you, I would stop trying to self diagnose this issue.

Bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. They will do a compression check and a leak down test to determine the integrity of the engine block and heads.

Also, if they drain the oil, they can tell pretty quickly if there is AF in the oil.

At that point, the issue is down to the two we mentioned.

Why put this off?

If the issue is a head gasket, then you want to fix that right away so as to not ruin the block and pistons etc.

If the block is cracked, that is another story.

Either way, you need a professional diagnosis and you need it fast.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #14

I tottaly agree with brucelee.I had my headgasket go and it looks like the engine is ruined and I will need a new used engine with 40k miles that will cost me $7000.00. A new engine costs $12000 from porsche.The headgasket can be replaced for $2000 or less so get it towed to the dealer ASAP.
Frank

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote