Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

A general tire size question

I have a set of rims and tires that came (from the factory) with 225/60/17 tires. A friend just bought new rims (and tires) for his car, and is willing to GIVE!!! me the old tires (less than 10k on them), the catch is, they are 225/55/17

Can I safely run these tires? I wasn't sure if the 55 was width? If I was going to change the tire size, could I also go with a 225/65/17?

Thanks for the help.

imsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

This will explain everything you would ever want to know.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #3

Let me google that for you
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
ekam, I'm not looking for a tire size calculator, either you didn't read the question, or didn't understand it. I searched tire rack and google last night trying to find out if the difference in size will allow me to mount these tires safely before I posted. Some say it can be done, other say it can't.

Has anyone here changed the aspect ratio of their tire? I'm not looking for a tire size calculator, I'm looking for someone who has done it, and their experience with changing it. I realize OEM size would be best, but these tires are 730bucks - if it's safe to change the ratio by 5 (or not) I'd like to hear from you.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

With that size, I assume it's not for a Boxster? They will be 1" smaller in diameter, which is a fairly large change, especially if the car has stability control. It may be within the safe range for ABS function though? I thought up to 5% Dia. change was OK for ABS, and you would be at around 3.2% change in diameter? Don't take that as Gospel though!

The 55 is the aspect ratio is explained in spinnaker's link. ( the tires section height is 55% of the section width of 225mm )

I installed a slightly wider, and taller tire on the front of my '06 ( 235 to 245 ), and it is right on the edge for my PSM. If I increase the front tire pressure a few Psi, the "traction control" starts kicking in.

Last edited by stephen wilson; 08-08-2013 at 01:50 PM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
With that size, I assume it's not for a Boxster? They will be 1" smaller in diameter, which is a fairly large change, especially if the car has stability control. It may be within the safe range for ABS function though? I thought up to 5% Dia. change was OK for ABS, and you would be at around 3.2% change in diameter? Don't take that as Gospel though!

The 55 is the aspect ratio explained in spinnaker's link. ( the tires section height is 55% of the section width of 225mm )

I installed a slightly wider, and taller tire on the front of my '06 ( 235 to 245 ), and it is right on the sdge for my PSM. If I increase the front tire pressure a few Psi, the "traction control" starts kicking in.
thanks, stephen. that was one of my biggest concerns the stability control. I've driven a car with the wrong tire sizes (wrong diameter) and the abs was setting itself off at random (very unsafe). Seems like such a small number, but I'd hate to mess with being safe.