986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New GAHH top with glass upgrade on the way...but I have a couple questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43503-new-gahh-top-glass-upgrade-way-but-i-have-couple-questions.html)

mistermac99 03-10-2013 04:52 AM

New GAHH top with glass upgrade on the way...but I have a couple questions

Does the new GAHH top with glass use the same tension cables as the OEM top?

My cables need to be replaced, so I thought this was a good time to do so. Wanted to make sure that the OEM tension cables/ropes need to be the same as for the OEM top.

I have had a clicking noise behind me when I drive lately. A few months ago, I found the noise was coming from the bracket that runs up and down for adjustment to the tension cable was just too loose. Got that corrected.

Lately, the clicking is back, but a much higher pitch, and quieter. I thought it was the seatbelt tensioner. Taking a stab at other things to see if I could pinpoint the noise, I disconnected the tension cable from the adjustment bracket at the bottom of the cable. Noise wasn't as prevalent, so I totally removed the cable, and bammm, noise gone.

I have the cable pretty tight already, so I thought that if I replace the cables, the noise would stop? Maybe the little spring inside the end of the cable gets weak and let's the cable move about?

Anyway, since I'm getting a new top with glass, sounded like a perfect time to replace the cables. I'm thinking they would surely be the same as OEM, but wanted to check the forum first.

brian325is 03-10-2013 07:55 AM

The new top comes with the cables sewn in. You reuse the old spring. There is no adjustment on these cables. Just the wire attached to a spring. Unless the wire is stretched or the spring is worn, I don't really see how this would be the source of your noise.

Skrapmot 03-10-2013 12:02 PM

Just picked up my car with the new top. This is a ATD top but the installer confirmed it was the GAHH top with a different label, but shipped even from the same address.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/11/ybuzaneg.jpg

Saved me $200 too.

Skrapmot 03-10-2013 12:04 PM

The installer said the glass window top are less one bow(?) which helps allow the window to move out of the way.
The defroster rocks though

whitedogs 03-10-2013 02:05 PM

looks great

Peter Serbanica 03-11-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 330849)
Does the new GAHH top with glass use the same tension cables as the OEM top?

My cables need to be replaced, so I thought this was a good time to do so. Wanted to make sure that the OEM tension cables/ropes need to be the same as for the OEM top.

I have had a clicking noise behind me when I drive lately. A few months ago, I found the noise was coming from the bracket that runs up and down for adjustment to the tension cable was just too loose. Got that corrected.

Lately, the clicking is back, but a much higher pitch, and quieter. I thought it was the seatbelt tensioner. Taking a stab at other things to see if I could pinpoint the noise, I disconnected the tension cable from the adjustment bracket at the bottom of the cable. Noise wasn't as prevalent, so I totally removed the cable, and bammm, noise gone.

I have the cable pretty tight already, so I thought that if I replace the cables, the noise would stop? Maybe the little spring inside the end of the cable gets weak and let's the cable move about?

Anyway, since I'm getting a new top with glass, sounded like a perfect time to replace the cables. I'm thinking they would surely be the same as OEM, but wanted to check the forum first.

I think you are referring to the tension ropes that attach to a ball. They are not part of the top. The tension cables are sewn into the new top with eyelets at either end. They attach to the lower b pillar with a screw and to a spring on the aluminum plate. There are no adjustments.