986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ignition problem - please help (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43496-ignition-problem-please-help.html)

t_raven 03-09-2013 05:53 PM

ignition problem - please help

So, i got my 2001 base out from storage today for a quick ride and everything was great..
Stopped for a bit, then when I went to go out again, the car wont turn over at all.

All of the dash lights come on when the key is turned to run, but when I turn the key to start, NOTHING..

Tried both keys, made sure it was in park (its a tip), checked all the fuses, and NOTHING.
Wiggled the key in the ignition and I cant get it to do anything..

I am thinking the ignition switch, but wanted to make sure before I start taking the dash apart to replace.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

1olddude 03-09-2013 06:02 PM

Perhaps the starter? Give it a push and see if it turns over. I am assuming your battery was on a tender while in storage and that it is fully charged? That's all I have, hope it helps. Good luck.

1olddude 03-09-2013 06:04 PM

Sorry, just re-read and see its a Tip so pushing is a bust. Sorry about that but I still suspect the starter if the battery is charged.

t_raven 03-09-2013 06:07 PM

had to boost the car to start it originally as the battery barely turned the car over when I first tried, but it started right up with a boost.
Let it run for a good amount of time, and drove it around to help recharge the battery a bit.
Had started it a few times with no issues, but now I have nothing, no clicking at all.

I put a charger on the battery so that shouldnt be a problem so any other solutions would be appreciated..

Heiko 03-09-2013 06:09 PM

If its the solonoid on the starter there are places that rebuild them :) I see you're in Ontario... If you're close to Guelph PM me and I can help you get that rebuilt :) Pulling the starter is a breeze.

t_raven 03-09-2013 06:12 PM

any chance it is the ignition switch itself?

Heiko 03-09-2013 06:17 PM

Possible but usually they dont die that quick... normally you'll see it fail time and time again and it gradually gets worse. Without looking at it I'd say it's the starter (most of the time the solonoid gives up).
The ignition switch is $20 (you can get one at any VW shop) in case you do want to try it...

t_raven 03-09-2013 06:19 PM

Thanks Heiko..
I am in Lindsay so a cpl hours from guelph (although I actually grew up there)
Is the starter relay easy to get at? or do you have to pull whole starter to get the relay?

Jager 03-09-2013 06:20 PM

Check the voltage on the battery, also the alternator is suspect.

Heiko 03-09-2013 06:40 PM

Too funny... went to school there back in the late 80's...
The solonoid is on the starter and the ignition relay I believe is in slot 2 in the trunk relay bank.
Jagar is also right if the Voltage on your battery is on the low side these things are picky about
starting up. Keep it on the charger overnight and see what happens in the morning.

srad34 03-10-2013 09:35 AM

Immobilizer issue?

t_raven 03-13-2013 06:22 AM

Fixed it!!..
Turns out the wire harness came loose at the ignition switch.
Replaced the switch and everything is great now!!