Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #1

Opinions about these TIRES...

Hello everyone,

I just wanted your opinion or feedback on the continental tires posted below. I am riding on 911 Turbo wheels which are 18x11 in the back and I want some good but feasible tires that will last.

Thank you in advance

Riz

OneOfaKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Garage
I had them on the wife's mercedes sport wagon and we were very happy with them for that application. I have 3 porsches and I run hankook on all of them and couldn't be happier. They are half the price of michelin, which everyone believes is the standard, and they perform just as well and last longer.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #3

Garage
Not a direct comparison, but I have the DW version on my Boxster (since it hibernates for the winter) and I love them. Two summers and about 20k miles, and I think they handle just as well as the OEM Michelins they replaced.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
A good A/S tire if you drive in mixed weather and want tires that last a very long time. They are a few steps down in terms of grip compared with a top Max performance summer tire. A good tradeoff for a DD or mostly highway car. They would not be competitive as an AX/track day tire.

Last edited by Topless; 03-14-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

The boxster sleeps in the winter and gets driven in the spring/summer/fall.

Which Hankooks are good?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

I have a set on my Chevy HHR Panel Wagon. They are two years old, 20K miles and show no wear at all. My brother in law has a set on his vette and is happy with them for cornering and traction. They do quite well in extreme weather too. Lots of snow and ice this year and always had grip.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfaKind View Post

Which Hankooks are good?
R-S3
Very popular with the AutoX crowd because of the price/performance.
They are Hankook's best "Summer" tire. (NOT for winter)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by com3dorm3 View Post
R-S3
Very popular with the AutoX crowd because of the price/performance.
They are Hankook's best "Summer" tire. (NOT for winter)
You have not lived until you have done power drifting in 2 inches of snow.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #9

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to purchase them and maybe if i decide to track the car, I'll get me some Hankook RS3's.

Thanks again,

Riz
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

Not tried them myself but dont look that great:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS | the Continental ExtremeContact DWS reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

I have Michelin PS2's and they are amazing on a Boxster.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Garage
Had those tires on My 525xi and hated them they were noisy as hell on that car and I think every tire had flatted for many reasons picking up everything they could find in the road. Blew out a sidewall on one. I would never buy again. Changed over to Yokohama AVID ENVigor's on that car for all season tires and it's the best thing I've done. Very quite have not had any issues at all with these at least 12K on them and they still look new. I think the DWS made it 18K and were trashed with cupping, bald and patches everywhere. Read up about the DWS flat tires people get with them I think they tried to make the non tread area to thin or smoothing I've never had so many flat tires in my life which you would think is just luck but I bet I had 8 flats on 4 tires in 2 years. My other 2 cars and 2 motorcycles maybe 2 flats in 4 to 6 years or longer since I don't even remember dealing with a flat on the others.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Do you drive an unusually high number of miles during the driving season?

This tire seems far too compromised for a three season car.

If you don't drive a high number of miles, and can afford to park the car when temps go below summer rubber recommendations, I would recommend checking out the Michelin Super Sports (best in rain) or the brand new Potenza RE-11A which is faster than the outgoing RE-11. Other Porsche drivers who drive in a "sporting manner" and look for a dedicated STREET tire like the Hankook R-S3, Dunlop Z2 or the BFG Rival.
Fast for the street, adequate for ocassional track/autox.
Tire Rack has a the Super Sports at under $900.
There is nothing better for your sports car than fast tires. Which always makes wonder how some will spend thousands on mods and then try and save $500 on tires. Also, your wheels are probably on the heavy side so if you can swing a lighter wheel, expense-wise, now might be the time to do it since you're shopping for new rubber and any fast tire will cost you a few bucks in that particular size.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-14-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #13

I drive the car only about 3-5k miles per year. I don't plan on tracking the car on those wheels and wanted some pretty good tires that would last me for a couple of years.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

Garage
18x11 in the back?? 295 tire???

Fender flares??
What's the ET????
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

1OK don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it. My wife and I tried them on our Boxster because others said how good they are on their non-Porsche cars. That may be so but they are horrible on the Boxster for what a Boxster does best...cornering. We got ours on a 90 day love them or trade them deal. Yes they were great for straight line traction on wet/snow covered streets. We even took the Boxster trail riding a couple times on the snow covered dirt roads in the mountains. They did great for that. The bad is cornering and high speed runs. They scared the hell out of both of us. Under steer is bad and grip in the corners just isn't there. On a high speed run the car felt wavy/floaty and it was not as stable as the old tires we took off. (Worn out). Removed DWS and put on new Kuhmo ASX. Back to good handling and stable high speed runs. Since ASX is no more, last set was X4. They do well too for cheap tires. Don't put DWS on your Boxster.

Last edited by Idaho Red Rocket 3; 03-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
I drive the car only about 3-5k miles per year. I don't plan on tracking the car on those wheels and wanted some pretty good tires that would last me for a couple of years.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
If you only drive 5K a year max, a fast street tire (RE-11, RE-11A, Super Sports, RS3) will certainly last three spring/summer/early fall seasons. That's a bargain for that long a period on street rubber of that caliber. I run a winter wheel/snow tire after Thanksgiving until April'ish to prolong the life of the summer tires, reduce wheel bending, and save the real driving for when the roads are dry and ambient temps mild to warm.

My next set will probably the Super Sports as I'm biased to a wet performer.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #17

The DWS are all season tires....apples to oranges...
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #18

That's exactly the point, why would you buy all-season tires if you don't drive in all seasons. You just get a compromise under all conditions.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
That's exactly the point, why would you buy all-season tires if you don't drive in all seasons. You just get a compromise under all conditions.
succintly put.

I was having a similar discussion about tires recently with a friend who does a truckload of tweaking and modifying on his VW. He runs on all season tires despite having an SUV. He's always eager to have me try out his latest modificaton on a quick test run. Every time I do so, I want to tell him he's leaving all the money on the table with all season tires. Steering wheel feels like a block of wood and in the turns the car feels like its on skinny 1977 VW Bug wheels.

Others will say things like "sure those are the same tires you find a Ferrari but this only a Boxster" Which is completely backwards in my opinion. Whenever a newer Ferrari goes in for service with more than 30K miles the mechanics come out to gawk at the car surprised to see such a rarity. Waste of tires. Those cars are too fragile to use as primary or secondary cars unlike a 986which gets full use of quality rubber.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-15-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted your opinion or feedback on the continental tires posted below. I am riding on 911 Turbo wheels which are 18x11 in the back and I want some good but feasible tires that will last.
The best advice I can give you is to familiarize yourself with the Tire Rack website, and spend substantial time reviewing its information. I think you'll find the time spent to be well-spent.

Good luck!