986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear shift-lever oil leak (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43487-rear-shift-lever-oil-leak.html)

Timco 03-08-2013 02:40 PM

Rear shift-lever oil leak

Can these be fixed? I read that this means new trans housing, but find that difficult to believe.

Thanks.

kashmir 03-08-2013 02:55 PM

It sound like you went to a friendy porsche dealer, I'd get a second opinion from a good Indy garage.

JFP in PA 03-08-2013 03:11 PM

The reason this type of leak is expensive to fix (requires a new tail housing unit) is because Porsche used a blank pressed in bronze plug in the side of the tailhousing that is then machined in place to accept the shaft. There are no aftermarket replacement bushings available, and machining out a new plug requires a lot of specialized tooling fixtures that you simply cannot buy.

shadrach74 03-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 330645)
The reason this type of leak is expensive to fix (requires a new tail housing unit) is because Porsche used a blank pressed in bronze plug in the side of the tailhousing that is then machined in place to accept the shaft. There are no aftermarket replacement bushings available, and machining out a new plug requires a lot of specialized tooling fixtures that you simply cannot buy.

That's a bummer. I wonder if slathering the bushing with a heavy petroleum product like cosmoline might stem the tide a bit...

JFP in PA 03-08-2013 05:41 PM

Not really, they start to leak because the shaft has worn the bushing out of round, so smearing something over it will only slow it for a bit before it starts again. And because of the wear, shaft movement will only get it more out of round with time and use.

Fix it.

Timco 03-08-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kashmir (Post 330644)
It sound like you went to a friendy porsche dealer, I'd get a second opinion from a good Indy garage.

Do you work on these leaks? I'll ask around but there's only a couple import mechanics here I would trust with a Porsche.

Bummer!!

sam c. 03-08-2013 09:59 PM

Awesome. :mad:

The more I see this kind of stuff, the more I think either someone was asleep at the wheel over in German land or Porsche let the interns have a crack at designing a car when they decided to do the Box.

I've got this leak too and there is absolutely no way I'm replacing a transmission case to "fix" a pressed in bushing that someone thought was a legit idea to machine in place. Last time I checked, a bushing, by design, is a wear product. What were they thinking?!?

sam c. 03-08-2013 10:05 PM

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7aa3c4fe.jpg

The best picture I have right now. I guess I'm going to have to start looking for a solution (thats doesn't involve throwing away a perfectly good case)

sam c. 03-08-2013 10:06 PM

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps13b1d643.jpg

Spinnaker 03-09-2013 12:23 AM

Maybe GBox has a fix. Give them a call and see if they can help, you never know until you try.
PORSCHE RACING AND STREET GEARBOXES-GBOX Transmission

Timco 03-09-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam c. (Post 330704)

Please post a pic of the other side with the shift levers. Yours does not look like the shift lever from the pic with the orange box.

sam c. 03-09-2013 06:30 AM

Was going to say I'd grab a better picture today but just realized I've already scrubbed the transmission down to get it ready to go back in. Is there some way other than leaking that one could determine if that bushing is on its way out?

BYprodriver 03-09-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 330639)
Can these be fixed? I read that this means new trans housing, but find that difficult to believe.

Thanks.

If caught in time maybe a new bushing can be made.

JFP in PA 03-09-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 330744)
If caught in time maybe a new bushing can be made.

Problem is that the way the factory machines the bushing uses fixtures rather than the opening in the case to locate center of the shaft opening. Basically, Porsche designed the tailhousing to be tossed if the shaft starts to leak.

Timco 03-09-2013 03:06 PM

Anyone have a source for a new or rebuilt housing besides Pelican? It's a 6-speed.

Spinnaker 03-09-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 330788)
Anyone have a source for a new or rebuilt housing besides Pelican? It's a 6-speed.

Sunset Porsche | Genuine Porsche Parts

thom4782 03-09-2013 07:34 PM

******************************************** is one and Jim Ellis another. You might give a dismantled or two a call - Oklahoma Foreign or DC Automotive

Timco 03-09-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam c. (Post 330740)
Was going to say I'd grab a better picture today but just realized I've already scrubbed the transmission down to get it ready to go back in. Is there some way other than leaking that one could determine if that bushing is on its way out?

My shift lever wobbles quite a bit if I grab it and move it. Shifts great, but its a pretty decent leak at this point. If yours is not leaking, I would not even look at it cross and show it the respect it needs.

sam c. 03-10-2013 01:09 AM

Thats good advice. At the same time tho, I think I'll keep an eye out for one with a trashed bushing and the owner has already replaced (one thats just a paper weight in someone's garage). I know some guys that do some pretty great things on CNC machines that can prob come up with some extremely cost effective solutions. Maybe a bushing removal kit like the parts that were developed for the IMS bearing.

Timco 03-13-2013 05:08 AM

Just the facts.....

New tranny housing from Porsche.....$750.00

Tranny exchange from Porsche........$6600.00

New shift lever if shaft has wear......$407.00

When calling a few local trans shops two said they work on old & obsolete trannys all the time, and were sure they could size & replace the bearing since the outer seal is available. They said it's typical for some parts to not be available, and they match parts like that up by size and ream them to fit.

A few said Porsche???? Hell no!!!!!:eek:

All I gots to do is pull it!