Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Tell-tale Signs That Engine Has Been Worked On?

First thing, I admit I did zero background checking into Boxster issues. I've just never heard of Porsche reliability problems, so I figured I was safe as long as the car didn't break during a very rigorous test drive.

Anyways the 2003 Box S I bought has 98k miles on it. I've had it for 3 weeks now and no issues that I know of, but after reading all these IMS problems I'm kinda of hoping this car has had that issue addressed previously. The car came with no maintenance records. Is there any way for me to tell of engine work being done.

Thanks

Last edited by KRAM36; 03-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Garage
At the risk of starting some kind of war......

The IMS problems, while catastrophic if they happen, happen to a very small percentage of Boxsters (somewhere around 2-5%). I spent a lot of time wringing my hands when I took possession of my 03 S, and it only had 26,000 miles. Well 14,000 miles later (in less than a year, as it is my DD) it still runs like a top. Like any car, maintenance is key. Check the filter when you change the oil. If you have the funds and want the IMS upgrade, go for it. There certainly is nothing wrong with having it done. But don't lose sleep over it. I always say, drive it like you stole it.

You have already made the purchase, but you could always go and get a PPI (Post purchase inspection in this case) done and know what you have going on.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
I was wondering about the IMS issue ratio and being on a forum I would naturally see people post about having IMS issues. The car runs and drives great, don't really hear any clatter when the car starts like some have posted about.

Heck the biggest question I had before reading thru the forums here was what wheels the car has on it.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43350-hello-new-boxster-owner-what-wheels-these.html
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Medicated Open-Air Driver

Kram,

Nice car! I lived on the Plaza for a while and KS/MO has some nice open hwy's to open up on. To boil the point down and yes, it effects a low percentage of cars but what if you want to keep the car for the long haul? There is no data about long term incident % other than people opine "not if but when"??? So, with these facts, I would make the investment and plan on putting in a new clutch, LN Engineered bearing OR the new product developed by Jake Raby Motor's in NC and other items (AOS) while the mechanic is in there. Look at it as paying about $2,300 - $3,000 for substance instead of an aftermarket insurance policy that is a 50/50 chance.....IMO. Good Luck!
BDBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Kram from what I was told, change you oil every 5k miles and look at your oil filter for debris. Double check oil seepage where the engine and tranny join. Keep the revs over 3k after warmed up (dont lug). After warmed up, open it up and enjoy the music. Upgrade when you have the coin or doing your clutch. And DRIVE the piss out of that car!!! Or let me do it

There is also the Guardian but thats another debate whether to go that route or just upgrade.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote