Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Replace Cab Top Rods??

I'm a recent new owner & took my 98 boxster in for a dealer service / oil change since it was due. I got the spiel from the service adviser on a few things. He asked if we had any trouble lowering the top. I told him no it's been up and down several times in the 4 mos we've had the car. He told me that they recommended replacing the "cab top rods" - the left one is broken & the right one is cracked..... Got the car home & raised the top partially where just rear deck is up... I got a flashlight and inspected both sides. I expected to find the left side hanging there with the right doing all the work. Both seem to be fine. Am I missing something? I have a call in to the adviser to see if I missed something. They quoted $159.64 for parts & 1.5 hrs labor. Looks pretty straightforward to replace these. Looks like a clip at the top & a ball / socket snap on at the bottom. Am I missing something here?

greg oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

an add on - got a call back from the dealer & located the broken part. it is a rod with a red ball cap head on it. He said the original may have been white. Looks like a fairly easy replacement? I took a pic but I'm not bright enough to add it here. Now I just need to find the parts. an hour & a half labor seems high. all it took was a 10mm wrench to pull a bolt & it was in my hand. Am I missing something here?
greg oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Garage
Take a look at the 101 projects for your boxster site / book. It's a fairly easy to it yourself job. There are aftermarket rods, that are significantly cheaper too. Have a look on the pelican site... I believe that's when I got mine.

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote