Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 AM   #1

Question Road-Clearance Boxter S (987)?

Anybody here know the Road-Clearance of a 987 (Boxster S) ???
If so, can you please let me know. Intend buying a Nov.2004 model and we have extremely uneven and bumpy roads here, where I stay.
Thanks,
Mangu.

manguasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
bmussatti

manguasha, I don't know the exact ground clearance for the Boxster. I have looked everywhere, and don't see this specification listed. Porsche has listed just about everything else.

But I can offer the following advice if you are worried about ground clearance and road conditions:

1) You might want to stay away from Porsche's PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) option, since this lowers the car another 10 mm.

2) The standard wheels might be best too, not the 19" options. The base has 17" and the S has 18"

3) Watch your approach angle from transition spots, like from roadways to driveways and such. These abrupt surface/height changes can sometimes cause the car's bottom to touch, depending on your speed and angle of approach.

4) The car has these little rubber flaps on the bottom area near the front end. These usually touch first, and can be replaced if damaged. There are also plastic scuff shields under the front bumper area.

FYI- my company is opening a new facility in Bangalore, India. We are investing heavily in your country.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:59 AM   #3

According to the driver’s manual (987), ground clearance is 4.0 inches (101mm). With PASM 3.7 inches (95mm).
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
manguasha, I don't know the exact ground clearance for the Boxster. I have looked everywhere, and don't see this specification listed. Porsche has listed just about everything else.

But I can offer the following advice if you are worried about ground clearance and road conditions:

1) You might want to stay away from Porsche's PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) option, since this lowers the car another 10 mm.

2) The standard wheels might be best too, not the 19" options. The base has 17" and the S has 18"

3) Watch your approach angle from transition spots, like from roadways to driveways and such. These abrupt surface/height changes can sometimes cause the car's bottom to touch, depending on your speed and angle of approach.

4) The car has these little rubber flaps on the bottom area near the front end. These usually touch first, and can be replaced if damaged. There are also plastic scuff shields under the front bumper area.

FYI- my company is opening a new facility in Bangalore, India. We are investing heavily in your country.

Thanks bmussatti,
very informative reply. One more thing. How does the wheel size make a difference to the ground-clearance ? Nice to know you are going to be in Bangalore. I live in Vizag (A.P.). Do get in touch with me. My e-mail is manguasha@sify.com

Cordially,
Mangu[/FONT]
manguasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
bmussatti

manguasha, my point about the wheel size is that larger wheels, like the 19’s, usually have a lower profile tire, with a real small side wall. If the road conditions in your area are poor, a larger side wall (smaller wheel) will be a little more forgiving to bumps any holes. You might get a little better ride, and possibly incur less damage to your wheels if you hit a particularly bad spot.