986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   WTB a boxter soon (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4330-wtb-boxter-soon.html)

MAZDASPEED 272 11-24-2005 09:06 PM

WTB a boxter soon

Im going to be buying one in a few months, when I uninstall all the mods from my current car which is a 2003.5 mazdaspeed protege(turbo).
my budget is around 24k-28k
Ive looked into the Specs of both the regular and S models. But im not too sure if I should go with a really loew mileage 2001 Boxter, higher mileage 2001 S or a high mileage 2003 standard boxter i really like all the updates for the 2003 model(interior,front air dam, lights...)

ukchris 11-25-2005 04:41 AM

Don't forget the glass rear window in the 2003+, for many that is the single biggest difference and, in my opinion at least, transforms the car. I think the "S" or Base is your biggest decision to make, if wanting an "S" makes you buy the 01 then so be it as the performance is key, if refinements rule then maybe the 03 Base will appeal more.

A lot may also depend on finding the color/options you favor too, do you want Litronics, heated seats, Bose etc etc...

Chris.

Brucelee 11-25-2005 06:13 AM

If it were me, I would go with the newer Box.

:cheers:

prOk 11-25-2005 06:22 AM

Newer = Warranty

Porsche has a very good warranty and friendly dealerships for the most part.. having a warranty for a couple years if you buy a 03 is a good thing.

70Sixter 11-25-2005 06:41 AM

For me the 6 speed and brakes pushed me to the S. Some things can be upgraded later as you did with the Mazda. My advice is to buy the best Box you can afford. Enjoy the hunt!

Biz-z Z 11-25-2005 07:37 AM

Ditto what 70Sixter says. I'd be inclined to go with performance. More information about your choices would be helpful such as mileage? options? price?

MAZDASPEED 272 11-26-2005 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
Ditto what 70Sixter says. I'd be inclined to go with performance. More information about your choices would be helpful such as mileage? options? price?

well right now it all depends on how much i get for my car and if i trade it in or sell it myself. I have alot of uninstalling to do and searching for stock parts.

MAZDASPEED 272 11-26-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukchris
Don't forget the glass rear window in the 2003+, for many that is the single biggest difference and, in my opinion at least, transforms the car. I think the "S" or Base is your biggest decision to make, if wanting an "S" makes you buy the 01 then so be it as the performance is key, if refinements rule then maybe the 03 Base will appeal more.

A lot may also depend on finding the color/options you favor too, do you want Litronics, heated seats, Bose etc etc...

Chris.

you make a good point about the glass rear window, it looks so much cleaner then the plastic, how much will it cost to change the top for the glass window? for now I think im leaning towards the regular boxster. Just the newest and with the lowest miles I can find. I dont care much about options, actually i prefer not having some options like the heated seats... as for litronics and audio i can install later. How much are the aftermarket litronics ? i know they wont be adjustable like the factory ones.

ukchris 11-26-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAZDASPEED 272
you make a good point about the glass rear window, it looks so much cleaner then the plastic, how much will it cost to change the top for the glass window? for now I think im leaning towards the regular boxster. Just the newest and with the lowest miles I can find. I dont care much about options, actually i prefer not having some options like the heated seats... as for litronics and audio i can install later. How much are the aftermarket litronics ? i know they wont be adjustable like the factory ones.

After looking at certified cars I fell upon a beautiful 2003S. It is Basalt black, has the sport design interion, litronics, heated seats and Bose. None of the options were "musy haves" for me but I have to say I love them all, especially the sport design interior. This option adds a lot of pieces including the seat backs in a silver fleck finish but the best of all is the dash and door panels in a PVC finish that looks almost like carbon fiber.

The litronics are nice but I'd say unless you did a lot of driving in unlit areas they aren't crucial, I have to say others swear by them though. Same with the heated seats, my wife likes them, they extend the top down season a little but aren't critical.

The Bose is nice but be warned, all audio with the CDR23 are a pain to add aux in if that is important to you.

I really like the glass window, it's smaller than the plastic one but IMHO much clearer and no worries about it folding/cracking. The aftermarket replacement tops with glass seem to have mixed reviews, they look incredibly promising and comparitively cheap but a few people seem to have had some issues with them. I have no experience at all though.

Chris.

olly986 11-26-2005 05:43 PM

i never heard of after market glass rear window replacement for a plastic one before, who makes them and did anyone fitted one on the forum? my porsche dealer always told me that you could not change the original for a glass as the folding action is different.

blinkwatt 11-26-2005 05:56 PM

Whatever you choose I am sure you will be happy with! I have not meet a Boxster owner who did not like it. Only minor things like,"I wish I could fit more in it" "I cant take all my kids in it". But hey what do you buy a Boxster for,grocery shopping or being a soccer mom? I think not.

ukchris 11-26-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olly986
i never heard of after market glass rear window replacement for a plastic one before, who makes them and did anyone fitted one on the forum? my porsche dealer always told me that you could not change the original for a glass as the folding action is different.

There's another thread going on this, look for GAHH replacement tops.

MAZDASPEED 272 11-28-2005 05:01 PM

how much should i expect to pay for a boxster S with under 50k miles ? any changes made between 2000 and 2002 ?
and also how much should i expect to pay if i go with the boxster but a newer model, the 2003 with around 40k miles ? btw i live in california, i know everystate has a diffrent price.

RandallNeighbour 11-28-2005 05:28 PM

Boxster prices are kind of wild from dealer to dealer. You're going to have to do some comparison shopping and then decide to buy local or somewhere else. Enjoy the hunt.

BTW, Brucelee (owner of this forum) has a dealer's license and buys and sells Boxsters and I bet he'd find you your dream car for a fair price and it wouldn't have hidden problems. PM him for details.

Brucelee 11-28-2005 06:18 PM

Thank you Randall, I appreciate your kind comments!

Yes, Randall is correct, the variation in Boxster price can be huge, depending on what Box we are talking about.

Feel free to call me on this topic. The good news is that there are TONS of Boxsters on the market, so it IS a buyers market, especially this time of year.

Thanks

My phone is 760-522-7327

MAZDASPEED 272 11-28-2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Thank you Randall, I appreciate your kind comments!

Yes, Randall is correct, the variation in Boxster price can be huge, depending on what Box we are talking about.

Feel free to call me on this topic. The good news is that there are TONS of Boxsters on the market, so it IS a buyers market, especially this time of year.

Thanks

My phone is 760-522-7327

cool, its good that your a local too. I will start the hunt for a boxster in january or as soon as i get done unmodifying my car and selling it, im glad I sold the front mount intercooler today. Anyways do you do leases too ? I think im gonna end up liking one that out of my price range to buy (03-04 S) and will be forced to lease it.

MAZDASPEED 272 11-28-2005 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Boxster prices are kind of wild from dealer to dealer. You're going to have to do some comparison shopping and then decide to buy local or somewhere else. Enjoy the hunt.

BTW, Brucelee (owner of this forum) has a dealer's license and buys and sells Boxsters and I bet he'd find you your dream car for a fair price and it wouldn't have hidden problems. PM him for details.

Thanks for the replies. And nice FAQs about boxster you have in your sig. Only thing I didnt like is that you say aftermarket exhausts wont do any good which could be true but I was hoping otherwise.