Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #1

Sad Day... :(

Hi,

A Picture says it all...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-18-2005 at 11:19 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:29 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
AWWW SAD DAY....Hey Jim where do you live? Garage made of Bricks???
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
AWWW SAD DAY....Hey Jim where do you live? Garage made of Bricks???

Hi,

I'm in Minneapolis. My Garage is Cinder Block w/ Half-Brick Exterior to match the House. Pre-stressed Concrete Flat Roof w/ I Beam supports for overhead Hoist etc. Semi-Heated (gets Heat Pump Return Line keeps the Garage about 40 Degrees through the much Colder Winter...

Old 11-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #4

We Americans are such wimps. I travel to Europe quite a lot and it warms my heart to see Porsches with ski racks cruising the Autobahn in January on their way to the Alps.

Get some Blizzacks and some cheap replica rims and drive that puppy year round.

BTW, no insult intended, just making a general statement. I can't say what I would do if I lived in the great white north.......
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #5

Are you sad because your garage is so cluttered?

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #6

Today it's about mid 80s in Southern California. Nice, warm breeze. Sky's perfectly clearn. Top's down.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #7

Wink No wimp Boxster for me

I think it should be reversed. You in the garage and the Boxster frolicking in the winter. I drive mine year round in NY where it also snows. Sure it isn't an Audi Quattro in the snow but the car moves in the snow. Just need the winter tires. I kind of like mine covered in snow looks cool. This idea of saving the car in the winter is so absurd!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
I think it should be reversed. You in the garage and the Boxster frolicking in the winter. I drive mine year round in NY where it also snows. Sure it isn't an Audi Quattro in the snow but the car moves in the snow. Just need the winter tires. I kind of like mine covered in snow looks cool. This idea of saving the car in the winter is so absurd!
Yep, but it's not as bad as the "I never drive it in the rain" garage queens posers.

Porsche's aren't jewelry, they are cars that are meant to be driven!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
Yep, but it's not as bad as the "I never drive it in the rain" garage queens posers.

And jewels aren't meant to be worn?!? Maybe during the next hurricane you can take the Porsche out and give it a try. Of course I'm kidding, but come on...there are reasons other than snow people put it away for the winter.

1)Other drivers-suv's driven uncontrollably because the owners believe that due to the 4x4 they can outhandle, outcorner, out stop, out anything else of the road for these next 4 months.

2)Salt or sand

3)With or without snow tires you will get caught in a snowstorm or in one of those deep ruts we all try to get through after the snow plow has plowed in your driveway.

Give us guys up north a bit of a break. Personally, I drive the car year round but DO have an SUV for those days you just can't get anywhere. It happens in Chicago and I know it happens much more frequently in MNBoxster's neck of the woods!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #10

You scared the heck out of me!

I thought the worst, sooooo glad to see it's just storage. I hate it for you, but it will be spring before you know it. And when you retire, you can move down here with the rest of us "year 'rounders".

Hmmmm, GABoxster? FLABoxster? CancunBoxster?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
We Americans are such wimps. I travel to Europe quite a lot and it warms my heart to see Porsches with ski racks cruising the Autobahn in January on their way to the Alps.
True, but Mercedes are taxis over there too (i.e. German cars aren't as expensive, compared to others, when they're domestic). Plus, they don't have 3-4 cars per family like Americans so there's not as much choice in what to drive in the winter.

Quote:
I can't say what I would do if I lived in the great white north.......
I would have to hibernate with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
If that's cluttered, I'll spare you pictures of my garage. ROFL You may pass out.

Quote:
While I personally agree with the drive them thing, you have to take into account we are all unique creations. While we all like the concours look, some people's enjoyment is personally making it look its' best. Some like putting mods or working on the mechanics themselves and that's how they enjoy it. Some just want to drive it and let someone else take care of the cleaning and maintenance and that's how they enjoy it. Whatever flavor you pick, just make sure it's something you love so you never get bored with it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #12

Jim, I would say that I would do exactly the same. I drive Hondas in the snow but not imports (Porsche, AMG, etc) because of cost issue. I mean, it costs $$$ just to replace this tiny part if you know what I mean Mine is only meant to be driven top down when it is sunny and nice outside. Hondas can do all my dirty work
Old 11-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
LOL, that was funny.

Hey Jim, is this the first time you've posted a picture of your car?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #14

Hey, I don't begrudge anyone wanting to keep their pride and joy in tip top shape and it's obvious that MN is one of those places where you won't see the pavement for months at a time.

I lived in the Midwest and northeast for over 30 years. Of course you choose the proper vehicle for the conditions and anyone that lives up there and uses their Porsche as primary transportation will have days where they simply won't be going anywhere. When I lived up north I would take very opportunity I could to drive the Porsche but it never got snow tires and I think I only got caught in the snow once or twice.

However, when I lived in Cupertino I routinely took the 944 to Tahoe to ski and had cable chains to get be over the pass. (but then is was a 944 so I suppose it doesn't count )

BTW, if you've been to Germany and shopped Porsche's you'll find that you will end up paying at least 20% more than we pay (MSRP tends to be higher depending on the exchange rate plus the VAT). Most people who have new Porsche's also have other cars, usually company cars as that's a standard practice in Europe for most management and engineering positions.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #15

Hi,

Thanks for the Many and Varied replies. Fact is, I have 3 Fun Cars, a 34 Year Old Datsun 240Z (Original Owner - 21k mi.), a 21 Y.O. Lotus Turbo Esprit (34k mi.) and my '99 Boxster, (24k mi.). They are all in Pristine Shape and well Driven. My Lotus and Datsun are National Show Winners, but regularly see Track and Auto-X - not Queens, but not Hags either.

But, in the Weather up here it simply makes no sense. First, you can't Drive 'em like you Stole them, because of the weather and the cold which never lets the Tires warm sufficiently. Second, it's really really hard on the Cars, both cosmetically, and also on the mechanics of Warming it up and having the Temp drop so fast once they're shutdown. Finally, all the other Crazies out there make it unwise.

So far as the clutter, most of the Boxes are stuff from my Mom's House which we are emptying after 45 years in preparation of selling it - my Dad passed away this past Summer at the age of 80, so I'll have some clutter until my Mom gets out of her house and better settled - What'ya gonna do...???

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-19-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #16
bmussatti

Great house, Jim, love the tile roof!

Your dad was 80 years young. From some of your previous post, I can tell he was an awesome man.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #17

Just to let you know, its about 80F and crystal clear here today in LA.........
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:29 AM   #18

Nice house, Jim. Just curious, how big is your house (or the land) in feet square?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:12 AM   #19

Buffalo got almost 2 feet of snow in some areas last week.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Nice house, Jim. Just curious, how big is your house (or the land) in feet square?

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. The House is 6 Bedroom, 5 Bath, 3850 Ft.² and sits on approx. 1/3 acre (1 3/4 Lots). It's right in Town on the Edge of St. Paul - the Mississippi River is just down the block from me. The House is on Summit Avenue, a Historic Street. There are several Colleges, Churches and even the Governor's House on it's 4.5 mile length. It starts at the State Capitol Building and ends on my Block. Our House was built in 1916 for a cost of $15,000. I think I'd get a little more for it today...